Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where does this wire go?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fredekr, Jan 11, 2003.

1. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

I'm going to have to pick up the factory manual and wiring diagram, but in the meantime...

I've got a wire hanging down near my transfer case (np203) ... I don't see where it should plug in (it's got obne of those round blade type sockets on the end.) Is it a 4wd indicator lead? If anyone knows off the top of their head, that'd be great!

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not sure about the 203, but a 208 has a single wire that connects to the transfer case for the 4WD indicator light in the instrument panel.......

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I would say it's for the 4wd lite, what about the back up light?

Eric

4. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

when you put it in 4WD does the light on the dash that says "4 wheel drive" come on? if no then i would way its that.

5. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

I was under my 79 the other day and saw this same plug. I did not know that there was even an indicator light available in 79 so I too am stumped. I know my 74 doesn't have it.

6. fredekr

Ok, so assuming it's the 4WD indicator lead, can anybody describe where the socket that it plugs into is located? I've searched around and don't see it... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks!
    Kevin

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well If it has the option the switch is on the shifter assembly pointed towards the engine. They use almost the same style switch as the brake light switch. Has the same threaded shaft and the same problem of the plastic shaft disintigrating after 25 years and falling off.
    I didn't think they started with the light till 78. My 79 has it and I have to put a small radiator style clamp on the shaft to get it to stay adjusted.

8. fredekr

Thanks Grim, that's what I was trying to figure out!

If I'm reading you right, this wire should plug into a socket on the front of the xfer case shifter assembly (assuming it's there on my 77). I'll look around there.

What do you mean about keeping it "adjusted"? Is there some kind of adjustment to do, or do you mean the hose clamp just keeps the plug in the socket?

Thanks!
    Kevin

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i know that 465 trannies used this type of plug for reverse and TCS switches on top side of the case

goodluck

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

As a follow-up to the what years have the 4WD indicator, my '74 doesn't, but my '77 does ... scared the hell out of me the first time when I went into 4Lo and a yellow light popped on /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- A