Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where does your tbi 350 idle at in neutral?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by foxman, Jul 8, 2004.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Just a small inquiry, Mine seems high at @ 950-1000 warm and slightly higher when cold. Goes down to 700-750 in drive...

How's about yours?

Thanks

Jeremy

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I like my engines to idle no lower than 900 in park and 650-700 in drive, it helps keep the plugs cleaner (maybe it doens't but I like to think so). I don't care much for chugging. I only have one TBI truck and I hooked winALDL up to it and my warm park idle was something like 850.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my numbers are the same...

i have a really sloppy throttle shaft and need new bushings.. thats what i've been atributing it to...

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I like mine to idle around 700 in neutral. A screaming idle speed sure makes it difficult to crawl. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Mine is at about 1000rpm when cold and once it warms up it is at 700-800rpm

Chris

6. ryoken

i bet.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

i'd love if mine ran that low... well, 800 would be fine by me... think i'm gonna pick up the ported TB and a few other goodies from Turbo City..

i'm hoping that takes care of it. the idle does seem to fluctuate when you move the shaft up and down so i'm hoping thats the issue. everything else seems fine and it runs great...

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

when mines cold, it makes it to around 1100, then when its warmer its around 800 I think /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. ryoken

well, at least it seems to be not uncommon.

i dont mind the cold 11, so much as the warm 900. in gear its not bad, about 700...

i'd like to get a 100 rpm's off each of those.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't you guys set the minimum idle speed on these via the set screw for the throttle and the instructions for it on thirdgen.org?

I thought I saw reference to the TBI idle set procedure being the same as TPI.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Warm my TPI is 800 in neutral 600 in gear.

Harley

11. ryoken

thought they where nonadjustable... but i just found this over there...

"Take the paper clip and open it up and form it into a big "U" shape. Insert the clip ends into the ALDL in the 'A' and 'B' pins.

Turn on the ignition, but don't start the engine. Wait 30 seconds. Now, go remove the connector from the IAC.

Start engine. You are now going to adjust "minimum air". There is a Torx screw on the side of the throttle body. This is what needs to be turned to adjust minimum air, or more commonly known as "idle speed". It comes from the factory with a protective metal cap over it. If the cap is still there, use a small punch to knock it out. Set the idle speed to 450 rpm, rotating the Torx screw clockwise to raise rpm, and counter-clockwise to lower rpm. Once the idle rpm is set, turn off the engine.

Re-connect the connector onto the IAC. Start engine. Idle speed is now once again governed by the ECM, but your idle should be smooth and steady, approximately 600 rpm in Drive (for unmodified cars).

If you set an SES light by having the IAC disconnected, then after shutting down the engine disconnect the negative battery terminal. Wait 5 minutes. This will clear the ECM of all trouble codes. Re-connect the battery and drive the car for 20 minutes to allow the ECM to relearn your driving style""

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Maybe you need to replace the tbi gasket. Dilema sounds familiar. Will get worse /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

At startup about 1100 drops to 850-900 after a minute, in drive it drops to 600, and after cruising for a few minutes sitting at a stop light it drops to about 550 in drive, pop it in nuetral and it come back up to 800-900RPM.