Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where else can this coolant leak be coming from?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Can Can, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

In the last few days my 83 6.2 has started leaking coolant from somewhere at the rear of the block. I lose about a cup of coolant every couple of hundred miles. I'm pretty sure it's an intake gasket that leaking that is aggravated by the cold weather.

I remember talking with Rene once about something else on the back of a 6.2 block that can leak coolant. I've never had to wrench on the 6.2 so I'm not sure what the differences are between it and a gasser.

Does anybody have any info?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There isn't a coolant passage through the intake. However, the glow plug controller is bolted down and blocks a coolant port back there. Should be the drivers side head near the vacuum pump area.

If it's not leaking from there I'd guess it's a bad freeze plug /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

3. Can Can

The leak is coming from too high up on the block to be a frost plug(as far as I can tell), so I guess I'll have to do some digging around back there and check out the GP controller. The location you describe is EXACTLY where the leak seems to be coming from.......I guess I should have paid more attention when you described it to me first time, eh? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Is there a gasket behind the GP controller that will need to be replaced or does the unit sit tight against the block without a gasket?

4. tRustyK5

I'm pretty sure there is a gasket there.

Are you getting any coolant pooling in the valley under the intake?

Rene

5. Can Can

It's really hard to tell, Rene. I haven't been able to take a close look because of the temperatures here. I do know that last time I was under the truck doing a service I saw the telltale signs of old coolant(that greenish/whitish stuff) dried higher up on the driver's side of the block. That leads me to believe that it's not coming from a frost plug.

If it is sitting in the valley, what does that mean? I'm gonna be doing another service tomorrow night(in a nice heated bay /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif) so I should be able to take a closer look at things.

6. tRustyK5

I think if it's leaking from under the glow plug controller it might pool under the intake. The heads are symmetrical, and if you look at the front of the motor you can see the coolant crossover part from one head to the other. Those same ports exist at the other end of the heads, one side is blocked with a plate and the other has the controller sitting on top of it.

That's how the controller senses engine temp...

rene