Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where exactly are those dopey little numbers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jhellwig, Jan 27, 2006.

1. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Where exactly are the numbers on the block of a small block chevy? Specificaly the ones that tell what the motor is and where it came from and all that good junk. I have asked people this question and they don't seam to reside where the say they are. My 83 blazer was supposed to have a 305 in it but the way the engine compartment looks makes me think that engine has been swaped.

Oh I suppose that I also need to know a web site that I can find out what those numbers mean.

And......................................................go.

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

someone will get on with the website - i'm not sure off hand. however, i believe that the numbers are, unfortunately, on the back of the motor just below the driver's side head. they should be on a ledge of the block which is parallel to the ground such that you could see those numbers if you were to look straight down over the back of the head - assuming you can get YOUR head in there w/ out removing the hood. ;) anyway - that's where they are on my block - which happens to be a 6.2. conveniently on mine, the number 6.2 is printed on the front of the block on the same type of surface as the other numbers under the front passenger side of the head.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

they're on a small pad under the alternator, sticks out from under the head. it will have 2 sets of numbers 1 that matches the serial of the VIN if its original, and the other saying where/when the motor was built. you need the last 2 or 3 letters of this.
    then go here and look it up.

4. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

The link doesn't work for me.

Hope fully I find the number on the front of the block. One person told me it was on the ear below the head on the drivers side but I must be blind or it isn't there.

Thanks.

5. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

wont tell you what it came out of, and in the case of a 4.00" bore block (302/327/350) wont be able to tell you what it is, just that it is a 4.00" bore block (the majority of them are 397001 or 3970010). the number i mentioned will come up as all 3, a 302, a 327, and a 350, available in both 2 and 4 bolt mains.

you need the 3 letter suffix code from under the alternator in front of the cylinder head.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

8. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck