Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where exactly does...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kelboski, Aug 19, 2000.

1. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

coolant leak into the engine ...in that i mean, where is the coolant leak which causes white smoke to come out of the pipes on the startup....my reason for asking is, i'm thinking about putting a new intake on my 305, and i have a white smoke out of the pipes when i crank it...after a nights rest...am i wrong, or does the coolant leak around the intake manifold...i don't know for sure...who does?
    thanks..Kelboski

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

Normally if it was leaking coolant and smoking, it would be the headgasket, but it would probably do it all of the time. Just to be sure, I would run a compression test before I change the intake. And normally if it was leaking coolant at the intake manifold, it would show up on top by the bolts.

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

i know what your talking about Sosa....the coolant gets on top of the intake and sits there right?

4. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Nope not coolant. If it smokes only on startup it's the valve seals. If coolant were to leak into the engine during startup then it definately would do it all the time when the cooling system pressurized. When the valve seals are bad while the engine is off the oil runs down the valve stem onto the top of the valve unless its open then into the cylinder. When you start it up then it burns off and voila a puff of smoke. Changing valve seals isn't that hard it's just time consuming and you need an air compressor and a fitting to pressurize the cylinder with air through the sparkplug hole (to keep the valves from dropping into the cylinder) then you need a valve spring removal tool. It needs to be the one that isn't like a clamp that goes around the head unless you want to take the heads off. Once you remove all the rockers take the little retainers once the spring is compressed, take off the spring and you'll see the valve seals just change them and installation is just reversed. A little trick for the rocker installation, count the # of turns you back off the rocker nut so you can turn them back down to the same spot. Then you only have to do a little adjustment when everything is back together.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>A while back my intake gasket broke and my truck overheated so i got home and checked the radiator and it was dry so i check the oil and there was the coolant. </font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

6. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

i wish you lived nextdoor to me Dumbfounded..you know alot...the smoke is'nt that bad, i was just wondering if a new intake w/ new gasket would fix it...i guess not. thanks for the info guys....what happened after that BigGray71?
    thanks...Kelboski

7. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

WAIT!!!! White smoke (like H2o boiling) at your tail pipe on cold fire up is normal. The platinum in the converter produces the H2o. So when you fire up first thing in the A.M. and it`s not blue, or black smoke, chances are that your just looking at steam. If you are mysteriously loosing coolant, well then you probably do have a bad head, gasket, or manifold.

8. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

the coolant level is fine....and thats what i thought...white smoke=water.....blue=oil....and black=rich condition..
    Kelboski

9. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

Had a small leak in a head gasket once, on start up it would blow some white smoke then seem to stop. What was really happening is it was still leaking but so slowly I didn't notice it in the exhaust, but once I turned the truck off the cooling system was still under pressure and it would dump a fair amount of coolant into one cylinder till it cooled off. Then on start up I'd get the big white puff again, I can't remember how much coolant my rad was losing , but you'd have to watch it pretty close. Just a past experience I though I'd pass on. Lotsa Luck!

MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"