Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where has the stupid come from?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Sep 29, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

After reading through several threads in the lounge in the past couple of days, I've gotta ask....where does all the stupidity come from? It just seems like more and more people lack both common sense and book smarts, and an "average" member of society is slowly moving toward the intelligence level of a rock.

The NOLA video posted, the recent anti-war protests, the ton of people I run into everyday that are supposedly going into engineering but can't do basic algebra, my lying POS roommate. Now just so I don't offend anyone with the last statements: The situation in NOLA sucks but that guy was WAY outta line. I'm not all for the war, but it's not like we can just pull out now. I've got no problem with people who can't do math, but engineering requires Calc 3 and Differential Equations, if you can't do high school algebra as a college freshman, it's not for you.

Please don't go off on any rants but seriously.....what's failed? The schools, parents, society itself? Don't tell me it's religion cuz that'd just start another war in here. What's happened to morals and if not morals at least a decent concern for other people? Is this the way it's always been and I'm just too young to realize it? I have a feeling this is gonna turn ugly and get locked but eh well, I'd like to hear a few opinions on this.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think it all started when the farkin' libs made spanking children into child abuce. If you can't punish kids, you can't teach them right from wrong. If you can't teach them that, you can't teach them respect for others and thier propperty. If you can't teach them too respect others and themselves, you can't teach self worth. If you can't teach self worth, they'll never try too better themselves. It just go's on and on. ...................................................................................................................................... Well, that's my opinion anyways.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It just means that you've matured enough to realize the world is a place that may not always have that happy childhood ending you were told about.
    So I'm guessing you're not in your mid 30's, thats when it's quite possible for a real freakstorm of reality sets in.
    But I hear when , or if you make to your late 50's early 60's it just doesn't matter anymore and it's eaither all good no problems or you're just pissed off at the entire world...Either way it comes down to the big dirt nap, nobody makes it out alive... :doah: :wink1:

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Cheer up pal...

5. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

It didn't come from anywhere, it has always been here. I see stupid people every day, they don't even know that they are dumb. I am just glad I am not one of them.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well, aren't you just a ray of friggin sunshine!!

The short answer IMO is that it's always been this way. What has changed over the last generation or two? Only the media saturation...we just see proportionately more of the stupidity. Everyone and their dog has a digi-cam, cam corder, or cell phone camera etc etc. Look at the amount of media now (plus the internet, and often combined with the internet) and compare it to say the mid 70's.

I recall not having cable TV because it wasn't available. When we finally did get cable TV there was 10 or 12 channels. News was once a day at 6PM, one maybe two channels. Currently our cable package includes no less than three channels dedicated to news 24/7. When you have that much airtime to fill chances are you're gonna be airing damn near anything...the worse the better because you're competing heads up with every local channel plus several national news conglomerates.

People have always been this collectively stupid, unsuited for their jobs, poorly trained, rude, obnoxious, petulant, greedy...we just never had a front row seat to see all of it 24/7 and everywhere we look.

Rene

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I could not have said it better. Stupidity and lack of education has always been around, its just very hard to ignore these days.

8. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

I definately agree that the media plays a HUGE role in the seen stupidity of the human population. But I also figure that parents definately have a partial cause as well. If the kid has no morals, it's because nobody taught him. If he is rude, it's because he's allowed to be at home... etc... I find that there are WAY too many spoiled rotten kids out there who have no respect for themselves or others. It's really sad...

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Mine also. Parents lack of consistancy is a factor also. I see people yelling at their kids and see the kids yelling back. I never even thought of yelling at my parents. I would have been thrown through a wall. Respect and Honor are things that aren't taught by schools and are no longer taught in the home.
    The end of times is at hand....... Go wheelin quick!

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Movies and shows like Jackass, and "cool" crap pounded into kids heads every day through thier iPods, and cell phones.
    Anything to fill a void and prevent thinking. It's even worse that filling the void is stupidity training material.

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Amen :haha:

12. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I think most of us grew up in a time and place that required us to develop skills and self worth that is lacking nowaday's.

Like ,,how many of us here HAD to learn to work on their own rigs just to get back and forth to school or a job ?? We did what it took because we knew no one was going to do it for us.Today's youth EXPECTS to have things handed to them or be paid the same as people with many more years experiance.

And the DUMBASSES,,,my god,,I have a file full of job applicants that can't
    even fill out the frickin application,,,many of them want to "take it home " and return it tomorrow,,,because they can't even read or write. And don't EVEN ask them to work the hours or under the conditions required to do the type of work we do,,,the whinning and crying will start,,most of today's youth are a bunch of *ussies if you ask me,,,but that's just my opinion,,,,,

13. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

^^^^^^^^
    Good Posting

But...I still believe that most of it goes to the upbringing. I *might* be included in the group of "youth" we are all referring to (after all I am only 24) but I cannot stand how most "normal" people act that are my age and younger. I never have. Sure, I have had a little help along the way, but most everything I own and everything I have accomplished is because of the work I have done, not anyone else. I have great parents that made me learn the value of helping myself while instilling in me a sincere respect for others.

The bad part is that I am the exception and not the rule.

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Actually, we just hope we are not one of them for the most part... I know I do many things I think are worthwhile (saving money by driving old trucks) but some people would think I'm stupid for it because of the little extra hassle of working on them myself :haha: Everyone has their own perspective... but there will always be stupid people.

15. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

At work one of the jap guys made a good statement "All we have around here are telephone engineers" meaning they have to call someone for help to figure things out or get something made for them. But in light we got this young guy right out of some collage up north somewhere (not that we hadn't got others that were as bright as a rock) that is like an engineer should be. He can draw a print that you can actually make something by instead of saying "i want something that sorta..." And if we are busy in maintenance he most of the time can build it himself. Soon as he gets enough time in to look good on his resume he will be gone. He says that nissan is way ahead of yamaha in all kinds of tech and automation. I can say that before i buy anything in the way of a waverunner, atv, golfcar, or anything made by other people i will check it out good because i know we are not the only place that has uncareing people working there putting this junk together. three assembly lines all more than 60% temps working them. And where is quality?

ok sorry just a halfway off the subject rant. dummies everywhere.

16. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

YOU are so right.most ost the youth today(i said most), are used to getting there way. mommy and daddy both work so they feel guilty and cotter to the child.even in some schools they play games were everyone wins! YAY i won,WEEE. BS,they need to know that everthing isn't going to happen their way so when they get in the real world it won't hurt as much.twenty years from now when these kids are running the counrty and other things,it's gonna be scary.my poor son will be the freak cuz he won't whine. he'll just pull him self up and move on . he said to me the other day when he scraped his knee"i just need to suck it up and i'll be fine dad". :laugh: he learned that at our church!!! :bow: :D no sissy teaching there.