Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where/how did you install your adjustable prop. valve?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Liberator, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

It's time to get this adjustable proportioning valve in. I can't seem to locate a place I'm happy with. Well, I have but the hose/fitting size it different than the fittings supplied. Close to the middle of the truck is a nice splice that would be perfect. I would only have to unbolt the female coupler and bolt in the prop valve in the couplers place. Problem is the hose back there is, I think 1/4". The fittings on the prop. valve are the standard size, I think 3/16". I'm not sure! If I knew what size fittings they were my life would be much easier. The brake line fitting that bolts into the rear drums thread into the prop. valve fitting, if that helps. Where did you install your proportioning valve and which adapters did you have to use?

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have you already done the disc brake swap? I recently did mine using the stock prop. valve an it stops great.:xmas: I do have hydro brakes, don't know if that makes a difference.

3. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I have disk brakes and I don't like the rear brakes locking up so easily. I go through rear brake pads more often than front pads.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i got new fittings and mounted it to a little bracket i made that was held on by 1 of the 2 nuts that holds the master to the booster. stayed high and dry and was out of harms way.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I will be on 24Hr duty today, but tomorrow i can snap a picture of where i mounted mine. It is inside the rear pass side of the frame.

6. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Pics would be great!

readymix, did you have a problem with the line sizes or fittings? Did your truck have a coupler where you installed your PV? I was hoping the coupler on mine was the same size as the fittings supplied with my Summitt PV, but the lines on the truck are larger.

sweetk30, your installation is interesting. There were no adverse effects installing the PV before the factory proportioning valve? I like the idea of having it installed up high. Which line from the master cylinder did you use?

Both options sound great! They are the original locations I've considered. I'm definitely having trouble finding the right fittings. If anyone else has another location, I'd love to know about it. Going back through the archives I found someone installed one inside the cab!

7. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i would suggest selling what you have and pay the extra 40 bucks and get the the new p valbe from www.inlinetube.com

replaces your stock p valve and adjusts properly.

i love it

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Thats what I did, works great.

9. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

sorry i took off the factory one and put a tee in for the frt and then ran the back threw the adj valve and plumbed it from there to the rear. set it on road test and never needed to reset it again. truck was to tall to need any diff bias for weight in bed.

frt resivor, small one is line for the rear and back resivor big one is line for the frt.