Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where/how to mount recovery shackles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Jun 9, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

titles says it all. i have a stock bumper (willing to cut holes through) where do i mount them? how? i know people use squared steel, but i can't figure out where to put it.
    thanks,
    red

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

CUT HOLES THROUGH YOUR BUMBER RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE FRAME. RUN SQUARE STEEL THROUGH THE HOLE SO IT IS LAYING INSIDE THE FRAME. I WOULD RUN ABOUT A FOOT OF STEEL ON THE FRAME ITSELF AND USE THE STRONGEST BOLTS YOU CAN GET, OR HAVE IT WELDED. WELDING MIGHT MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO REMOVE THE BUMPER LATER THOUGH.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

shhhhhhhhhhhhh..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

no need to yell. . . /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

lol sorry........

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

IMHO, make a receiver for the front and get one for the rear. NEVER pull from 1 side of the truck. Pulling from 1 rail will pull that rail out of square to the other rail. Thats why you see so many off road rigs "dog tracking" down the road. Body men call it a diamond in the frame. Also always at least TRY to pull straight on or youll pull the front or rear rails sideways.

I chopped down a Reese hitch that I had laying around and welded it between the front rails. Take a look at my pics in the ReConstruction album for what I did.

7. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Find one of the guys here that bought a military K5 or truck and get the shackles and brackets from them. It bolts up and will work.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you do that, get the reinforcing plate that is rivited inside the frame rail (good tip that I learned from someone else on here) or make your own.