Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where in the world is my battery???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DBLAZER, Oct 3, 2003.

1. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I have quite a few questions PM'ed to me about my Engine Bay and the location of of my batteries and the such. So I thought I would post my reply to the last inquiry out here. Anyways..........

<font color="purple"> I do not have pics of the engine bay, but I can tell you it is TIGHT!!! The Batteries were removed from the engine bay. I also gutted the Heat and AC set up. I removed everything including heater core and all inside Heat/AC stuff. </font>

<font color="purple"> With the underdash area behind the glovebox free and clear I removed the glovebox door. I removed glove box itself. So all I had left to install was the dorr itself. I then cut the little peic of metal that runs along the bottom of the dash where the glovebox door mounts. I now had full access to the area. We fabbed up a very strong dual battery mount that we bolted to the inside of the firewall. On the outside we built a plate to help suppore the weight of the batteries. This also sealed up all the holes that were left from the AC/Heater. </font>

<font color="purple"> We then lounted the batteris in the tray. They are bolted in VERY well. I also made a little rubber cover so if the computer, which is just inches from the top of the Battery, falls down it will not just land on the terminals and cause a short. </font>

<font color="purple"> Last, I made some mounts to bolt the bottome peice of metal that I had previously cut out back into place. This allowed me to bolt the glovebox door back into place. So it looks like the stock dash, (kind of!!) </font> /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<font color="purple"> How do I jump it you ask, well for now I have to go through the glove box door. It isn't that bad. I plan to run a jumper directly from the starter to a secure point that I can plug in a set of cables to jump me off if needed. I will see if I can come up with pics. </font>

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

On his race cars my dad removes the heatercore and puts the battery back inside the firewall where the heatercore used to be. keeps it out of the way but still under the hood.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I had to squeeze mine in up by the hood line between the heater core and air cleaner against the firewall, but still in the engine bay. It took up a lot of space since its enclosed in a battery box but left the heater opperational for those cold 65 degree SoCal nights /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I'm putting my batteries behind the rear seat. 1 on each side. I figured the weight would be better back there with the front being heavy with the big block.

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Mine is Mounted to the frame, even at full stuff there is no touching it, to hold it in place I used a spare gas tank strap I had and I formed it around the battery, then it is held in place with wing nuts and the strap is in the optima grove between the two terminals and rubber on the sides

I got the Idea from Marve-Springer btw
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

6. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ya got pics of yurs please ? thanks.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

your pics always suck mike...quit holding out /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif