Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where is it all going?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AntAZBlaz, May 10, 2000.

1. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

just wanted to know if any one else has this problem, about a month ago i did an oil change and did everything chaged the bolt with a new washer put a small piece of teflon tape on the thread to stop the leak and replaced the oil filter, i put in 10-30 sinthetic oil for 4x4 in it and since i have done that i have put 7-8 quarts in the egine, i have the stock 350 with no egine chages from previous times that i have done oil changes, well here is the kicker, before i stoped the leaks i never had to put this much oil into it. now that i have stoped the leaks it's to be burning up or going some where and i have no idea where? any one got any ideas?

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

How many miles does your engine have? Do you see any smoke? (Cold startup smoke doesn't really count. Most chevys will puff in the mornings because of the valve seals)

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

3. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

I have an '89 Blazer with 140,000 miles on the stock 350. I get the white smoke out the pipes after it sits at work all day. That is probably the valve seals. I thought about switching to synthetic oil, but was told that since I have been using 10W-30 the synthetic oil is "finer" and has a tendency to find every crack and hole possible to leak through. A popular place to leak is around the gasket covers. It could be leaking out the back of the covers so you really wouldn't see, but you would definitely notice when you checked the oil level!!

Chevy's RULE!

4. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

mabey it is coming out of the seals, there is no white smoke except for when i start the engine and i was told that does not matter, but the one thing that is kicking my but about the oil levels is that before i fixed the leak around the seals it did not seem to disapear as fast or at all for that matter now it seems to be burning up a lot and it is not a daily driver, and only has 62000 on the original motor, can you tell its only been a fun truck its whole life? when i went to jiffy lube to have them do my automatic transmission, transfer case, and diffs the guy automatically assumed that it had 162,000, i had to correct him 3 times :)
    anthony

5. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

could your rear main seal be gone? i had this problem before i rebuilt my 350 and i would have swore it was the pan bolt cause the way the oil ran down the pan ..........that would acount for the increase in oil lose as the seal gets worse you'll lose more oil faster ..........you said that it had low miles i'm assuming its rebuilt .....did the person who built it goof on your rear main seal ......its possible and happens a lot .........correct me if i'm wrong (i hope i am)

good luck

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

6. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

7-8 quarts, whew! you'd better start checking everything, starting with the raditor, look for some chocalate milk, and leaks while running under pressure, 3 extra quarts just don't dissappear my friend!!!!

White Knight

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

You let Jiffy Screw touch your vehicle??? That's insane!!

Sorry, knee-jerk reaction there. Do you have any external signs of leaks? Wet engine or tranny after driving? Oil-coated underbody and frame? How about real dirty exhaust pipe tips? Stupid question, but did you put in the right amount of oil in the first place? Like White Knight said, it don't just disappear!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

8. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Before you rebuild your engine use a few cans of Restore. This stuff has been brutily tested and never had a bad review. I've used it in lots of rigs, from Hondas to Fords, and my 454 with 160k and it does work. Compresion has jumped to near stock levels on all of them when following directions. Hot Rod, Car Craft, and the likes have tested it, never had a bad result. $.02 Matt

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???