Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where is my coolant going?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by marcus, May 13, 2003.

1. marcus

marcus Registered Member

Guys,

I topped up my coolant about a month ago when the "low coolant" light came on. Then two days ago the light came on again. I had to add four litres yesterday. But I can't see where the stuff is going! Temp is completely normal. No "mayonnaise" in the oil filler cap, no loss of power....Any ideas?

2. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Pull the radiator cap off when the engine is cool, start the engine and look for bubbles or belching in the coolant flow. If you probably have a bad head gasket or cracked head.

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check to make sure you don't have a hole in your radiator. Heater core? Are you floorboards wet? Loose hose somewhere? Just a few ideas.

4. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Look in the valley between your cylinders. I think my thermostat gasket is leaking and the fan is blowing coolant across the top of my engine. I pulled my intake manifold and there's lots of green stuff there...Just my .02.

5. DOCKAWI650

DOCKAWI650 Registered Member

I have a 6.2 diesel suburban and 6.2 K5...my suburban does the same thing...everything is normal, drives great, good power, but i top off the coolent every week almost. My blazer has yet to do anything of the sort.
    -doc

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pull the radiator cap off when the engine is cool, start the engine and look for bubbles or belching in the coolant flow. If you probably have a bad head gasket or cracked head.

[/ QUOTE ]Thats what happened to me , broke head bolt and loosing coolant out the overflow bottle.

7. marcus

marcus Registered Member

doc...

so you reckon just to leave it and top off coolant as and when??

8. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Me too, bro. My problem is, though, a bad radiator. Corrosion has weakened the walls of the tubes and allows the coolant to seep out. You don't see it because as it seeps, it steams away before it condenses and drips. Tell tale signs on my truck were rusty water marks on the back of rad core.

9. marcus

marcus Registered Member

I'll have a good look at the weekend. I've been neglecting my K5 a bit lately as I've been spending my spare time building my Suzuki.....time for some serious maintenance methinks

10. marcus

marcus Registered Member

An old thread brought back to the top...I found out where my coolant is going....all over the road from a leak in the rad, bottom drivers side...on the fan side...

Being in England, rads are not going to be easy to by...so it look like a rebuild...$$$...or £££ in my case...

Someone told me to try an solder it myself...is that possible?

11. mirage

mirage Registered Member

Depending on how bad it is I just fixed my brother in laws with some nifty additive junk that they sell at the parts houses. We got the Alumi-Seal brand, the guy said that's what the shops buy. We borrowed a radiator pressure tester (from Autozone) and the fix worked. Don't know how bad your leak is, but looking into those sealers might save some time and $$$ :-)

Mirage

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    An old thread brought back to the top...I found out where my coolant is going....all over the road from a leak in the rad, bottom drivers side...on the fan side...

Being in England, rads are not going to be easy to by...so it look like a rebuild...$$$...or £££ in my case...

Someone told me to try an solder it myself...is that possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like mirage said try the additives first they work 99% of the times and they don't cost much.
    Now if that doesn't work then yes you can solder it yourself I have done that many times, it takes practice to make it look good but it's easy enough to fix.
    The trick is to find the problem spots, the additives are good in that they will hunt the leaks down and plug them.
    A good way to find the leaks to fix them yourself is to plug one end and blow air throught the second and submerge it in water, the leaks will bubble up.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif