Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where is my coolant going?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 90K5, Jul 10, 2003.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i have a mysterious disappearance of my coolant in the 01 silverado...the low coolant light comes on every now and then, if i had to guess i'd say every 3-400 miles...added a quart of coolant and it came on again. there are no drips anywhere, nothing from the heater core, unless it leaks into something that will hold it, no leaks from the intake gasket that i can see, and no trace of it in the oil...i have heard dex-cool evaporates faster than green stuff, but i wouldnt think it would be this fast...truck never gets hot, light just comes on, runs at the same temp it always does. any ideas? btw its a 4.3 V6, dont know if the intake gasket leaks are as common on the V6s as they are on the V8...thanks

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I just got done replacing a water pump in a 99 Jeep Cherokee (4.2 I-6) that had the same problem. Turns out the water pump was leaking ever so slightly. It would drip onto the lower crank pulley and would get slung around the engine compartment in such a fine mist that you had to look very, very carefully to see any anti-freeze in the engine compartment.

Just a thought................. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

it is the water pump...had a puddle under it today...i hadnt expected it to be bad with only 45K on it

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Yeah - they leak and evoporate, just like everything else.

Pressure test it cold and inspect.