Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where is my fuel filter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83k5dan, Sep 11, 2000.

1. 83k5dan

83k5dan Registered Member

I have an 83 K5. I just put a new 350 motor in it. It has an edelbrock 600cfm carb. It was working normal for about 2 day's. Then later on the second day of driving, it started to bog down when I start to go from a dead stop. We have eliminated as a problem, the timing, and any vacume leaks around the carb. We have also adjusted the carb air/fuel mixture. Right now my best guess is a fuel filter somewhere in between the gas tank and the engine. I am just wandering where the fuel filter is. I have not been able to locate it. If anyone knows where the fuel filter is , or has any other suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Not sure about Edelbrock carbs, but on a Q-jet, the filter is located on the passenger side front of the carb, right inside where your fuel line enters the carb body. I assume an Edelbrock is the same ?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have an 81 with a 350 and the Edelbrock 600 4 barrel and my filter is right where I put it, just ahead of the carb. Did you replace your Q-jet with the Edelbrock? Did you remember the Q-jet's filter is right in the inlet part of the carb? This would have meant you needed to install an in-line filter! If this was an oversight you have been running unfiltered fuel through your carb.[​IMG][​IMG]That might be your problem.

I'm not slagging your wrenching abilities, I've forgotten worse![​IMG] (try forgetting to tighten the oil pan bolts)
    [​IMG]
    Rene

[​IMG]

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Does Edelbrock not allow for a filter inside the carb like a Q-Jet, Rene?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No sirree! Holley not either. Thats why I installed an in-line filter between the fuel pump and the carb.[​IMG]
    I would imagine the Edelbrock Q-jet would though. But I don't think the Edelbrock Q-jet comes as small as a 600 so I assumed he had the Carter style Edelbrock.

Rene
    [​IMG]

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

An Edelbrock performer carb does have an filter on the gas inlet. The edelbrock q-jet is an exact replacement so yes it also has one. I would suggset running an inline filter before the fuel pump also. The filter on the edelbrock performer is the brass type.

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Did you check the intake manifold for vac leaks? Also as trustyk5 said if there is no filter this could be the problem.

8. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Is there no in-line fuel filter on the Blazers? And fyi, my Holley carb (650 double pumper) does have a screen on the inlet of the carb (not sure about other Holleys though), however most people take them out (as they are restrictive, so I have been told) and use an inline fuel filter. - Steve :)</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

9. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

You should always run an inline filter, as you can see the dirt building up. Rustfalkes/particles from the tank, if you have a rubberhose leading fuel anywhere in your fuelsystem it´ll start to peel someday, imagine the hoses at the pump. Ways to get dirt into the gas is pretty much endless. An inline filter is a cheap insurance for any carb.....well, maybe not "insurance", but you know what I mean [​IMG]. I wish all things that useful could be that cheap [​IMG].

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

10. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

The stock fuel filter on all Blazers I've had is under the truck on the right side. It's mounted between the frame channel on the passenger side about half way back. It may be caked with grease and road grime, but it's there.
    Let me know if you found it.

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

11. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

12. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    I was thinking the same as DMK sounds more like an "intake leak" to me also, did you use those rubber end pieces (front and back) when you bolted on your intake? if so, I bet that's your leak[​IMG]and your problem.
    Changing you filter is always a good idea, but it probably won't fix anything.

13. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Scooby, you here too?[​IMG]. Those rubber front and back´s has nothing to do with the actual intake vacuum itself, they´re just...there...for some reason[​IMG]. I guess they prevent oil from squirting out from the lifter valley, or something like that [​IMG]

Andreas

14. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    I didnt mean the vacuum leaks from those, but for some reason when people use them, they seem to keep the intake from sealing with the heads properly (thats were I ment the vacuum problem is). At least the one and only time I ever used them[​IMG] thats what they did. Anymore I just run a big fat bead of silicon, since like you said it is just to keep oil from splashing out. Also the rubber ones seem to like to sguish back out on one side or the other[​IMG].
    This may not be his problem, but it does sound like it could be a vacuum leak from somewhere, also could be ignition?.

15. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

The funny thing is I got a similar problem with my WV daily driver[​IMG]. And I replaced all vacuumhoses I cound find, new plugs, wires, rotor, dist.cap. Replaced a lot of electrical wiring (could be an invisible crack somewhere, you never know), new fuel & air filter and I bought a new gasket for the carburator "foot". Still it runs like sh*t so I´m taking it to the shop tomorrow.[​IMG] My best guess is something has gone bad inside the carburator and I dont wanna mess with that. That little 2 barrel has more hoses and wires going to it than a TBI [​IMG]. I took a Q-Jet apart this summer and put it back, just to see if I could do it, but I dont dare to touch that...that...thing.

Andreas