Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where is my tranny leaking? (pic included)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ascuro, Apr 18, 2006.

1. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

I seem to have developed a fairly serious leak where the red arrow is pointing - it's a little hard to see (and I cleaned it up before the pic), but ATF is seeping out from the bottom lip of that round piece that's bolted the tranny, above the lip. What part/seal would this be exactly? And is this something I could fix with the converter/tranny in the truck, or would I have to drop it?

[​IMG]

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

it could be your front seal or your pump housing o-ring, both of thoese will require the transmission to be removed from the truck to repair correctly

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If that's a 700, and it's the front seal, they made a clip to help hold the seal in place, if you don't have one, I'd consider using one.

4. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Front seal or Front pump seal. Front seal can be changed in truck. Front pump seal the tranny needs to be at least 45deg angle to keep bands in place when pulling pump. This can be done in truck " very tight work space " and a little tricky. Wish I had taken pics. Just did this to my TH350. Also good idea if you pull front pump. Have shop redo pump bushing. Whore out bushing bring's on leaks sometimes.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

What ever he does, he has to get behind the torque conveter. He can leave the trans in the truck but then he would just have to remove the motor to get to the seal. :dunno: So what do you want to remove? Trans or motor?

6. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

Thanks for all the info guys. Is the front seal the larger one just behind the round housing in my pic (sorry, I'm not sure of the name). And the pump seal is just behind the converter shaft?

The only relevant thread I could find was this one ( http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167717&highlight=th350+front+seal ), and I'm still unclear what exactly the 'pump' is?

Oh, it's a th350.

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

That big thing behind the convertere is the pump, there is a large o-ring in there. To get to that you have to slide off the converter and remove all the bolts holding the pump in. Its tricky to get in and out, you have to be very careful when removing the pump. The other seal is where the shaft comes out of the case where the converter goes. Remove the converter and look at the shaft coming out of your pump thats the torque converter seal. You can pry that seal out with a seal puller, screwdriver or something. When you put the new one in just make sure it goes in straight and is seated all the way. Pretty easy stuff, youll see whats going on when you get in there and do it.