Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where is the #1 post on a 90 distributor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlueOx, Oct 12, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Ok, on the HEI distributor I have on the truck now I know where the # one post is but, I am working on a 90’ distributor with the remote coil and can’t find #1 post. Unlike the HEI distributor the 90’ cap is completely round and I have no idea which post is for the #1 cylinder. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Charles

2. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

it depenmds on how you drop it in the engine. put #1 at TDC on the compression stroke and drop it in - make a note of where #1 is. it is the relationship with the camshaft that matters not the number or p[osition on the cap...

3. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Yes, but where is it on the cap. I know with the HEI its always the one after the tach plug.

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

It is the post that points towards #1. Should be just to the drive side front of center of the manifold. Same basic position as your HEI distrib would be. They will work no matter which post is used for #1, but this is how it comes from the factory.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

It can pretty much where ever you want it to be as long as you reference it correctly. The vac advance pot should on the left at around 9 o'clock and the # 1 would be at around 3 or 4. That's how mine is anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Good Luck

6. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

im with jimmyjack home is where you make it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i dont see why you couldnt put number 1 wherever you wanted...just make the sure the rest follow in correct firing order.

its a very good possibility that i might be not exactly correct /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I got it working now, thanks for all the help guys.

Charles

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know you got it working, so a mute point for you, but others may be interested. As stated it can be any post (as long as the cam, #1 cylinder at TDC compression stroke, and cap line up) and followed by 8,4,3,6,5,7,2 plug wires. I just did the head gaskets on a K5 and the rotor pointed almost directly at the post on the coil when at TDC compression #1 cylinder. The way the cap was put in, it was the 3rd post clockwise from little ridge on the cap (the ridge is on the side where the electrical connectors are on the base of the distributor). This is how it was when I took it out. Again any post can actually be #1 as long as everything is correctly in time. In your conversion did you use the tan with black stripe wire (for electronic advance retard), as I had to disconnect it to correctly time her 89 K5 (per Chilton's manual).