Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where is the best place online for diesel basics

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by FWP, Jun 5, 2004.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

I need a primer. I know very little about how a diesel works, and need a good solid base of correct info to start from... simple basics as well as detailed theory of operation (including turbo). I want to learn as much as possible about things diesel, particularly 6.2. Most of the stuff here, and DP is over my head right now. TIA

Fred

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I need a primer. I know very little about how a diesel works, and need a good solid base of correct info to start from... simple basics as well as detailed theory of operation (including turbo). I want to learn as much as possible about things diesel, particularly 6.2. Most of the stuff here, and DP is over my head right now. TIA

Fred

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have yet to find such a site but I have bought books that helped me, and I work in construction so I always sit down and chat with the mechanics, now I think I know enough to get in trouble. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A good source of info when I first got my 6.2 and was at the beginning of my swap was the Haynes diesel manual that covers the Chev and Ford diesels. I kept that book in the 'throne room' for a few weeks and would read and re-read stuff till I started to understand it.

They're very simple engines, first of all there is no throttle at all. The injector pump controls rpm by adding more fuel or less fuel to each cylinder. On the intake stroke the valve opens and the cylinder draws in as much air as it can (non -turbo) and then compresses it a ton. This heats the air charge a lot...then at TDC (roughly) the injector pump sends a small pulse of fuel to that injector. A small mist of fuel is sprayed into the cylinder and the superheated air charge spontaneously ignites it. Power stroke and exhaust stroke are similar to gas engines.

Probably the most complex part of the diesel engine is the injector pump, which has to meter the fuel very precisely to ensure each cylinder is getting the same 'charge'.

All the turbo does for a diesel is stuff more air into the cylinder on the intake stroke. No worries about running it lean or rich or anything like that. If the balance between the amount of air the cylinder has versus the fuel charge becomes leaner (foot off the gas pedal), the rpm's just decrease. Add fuel to the same air charge and rpm's increase.

Compression ratio on a 6.2 diesel is approximately 21:1, which is how the air can become superheated enough to ignite the fuel spontaneously.

That is the basic idea as I understand it. Everything else we talk about is just the peripheral stuff like glow plugs, GP controllers, cold advance junk, etc etc.

No computer
    No 'artificial' ignition system
    No throttle
    No spark plugs

Lastly, don't hesitate to ask the basic questions. I probably have the record for the most dumb newibe diesel questions here and I don't care a bit. I had to learn it somewhere and everyone here was very helpful and patient.

Rene

4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The Diesel Page /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

clicky worky now! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dang...I misspelled Diesel....just like our fearless leader!!!

The Diesel Page /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif