Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where is the best place to mount some tow hooks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, May 8, 2000.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

In the front or rear? And where at in the front? where are yours mounted? if you guys have any pics that would help to! (sorry for all the ?'s)

Thanks

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Most guys put them on the bottom of the frame rails in the front. As for the rear, just mount them on the frame somewhere. Or if you have a towing hitch, you can buy a hook that slides in the receiver. Its tons better than putting a yank strap around a hitch ball and having it break off and hit someone in the head and kill 'em.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

I'd have to say at least one on each end.I can't make any suggestions for the rear though,I still can't find a place to mount any back there.I'm in the process of making a bumper with strapping spots built in.

<font color=red>Wanna'keep wheelin? Get involved!
    Check the "Land Use" section of this board.</font color=red>

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

On the front I have one mounted on each frame rail. On the rear I have a receiver hitch that had some beefy areas for safety chains. I have a clevis in each unless it will be puling really hard, then I use some chain around the main cross piece of the hitch.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

For a receiver hitch, I think the best thing to use is either a receiver shackle bracket or a tow hook bracket. It's a piece of 2x2 steel with either a clevis/shackle or a regular tow hook mounted to it. These stress the receiver the way it was built to be stressed. Just my opinion, of course...
    For the front, you can put them on the bottom of the framerails, or, you could cut access holes in your bumper and mount them to the sides of the frame. I'm considering doing this myself.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I have mine mounted in the front on each frame rail also. It did not come with the truck. I bought the hooks from JCW for $10 for the pair. Its a 10K lb test. You'll need a 1/2" drill bit and drill two holes on each frame to mount the hooks. Very easy. Here is a pic. This is the best pic I could find.
    Boss

7. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Mine are factory, also mounted to the frame rails. I have a reciever in the back.

Blazin' in Flagstaff

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I used to just feed the strap into the reciever holder and fasten it in place by running the pin through the loop. No probs so far....

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress