Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where is the fule sending unit located

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mightywhitey_k5, Jan 29, 2005.

1. mightywhitey_k5

mightywhitey_k5 Registered Member

i Believe i have a problem with my sending unit and i dont have my chitlens with me any one have an idea on where my fule sending unit is on my 87 blazer

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the sending unit is the part that goes inside the tank.
    87 would have the fuel pump on it also

whats wrong with it?

3. mightywhitey_k5

mightywhitey_k5 Registered Member

the unit has been actin up giving a fals measurement of fule for the last coupele of days. while i was out wheeling yesturday my bumper took a nasty bump and my car just quit sending fule. I was thinking it was the sending unit but now i have a hunch that something got jared loose in the filter. i know its not the pump, its brand new. not the injectors they are new. another possibility is that i pinched a line somewhere but from what i can see every thing looks in place and i dont see how that could have happened.

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Mine has said i have half a tank for 2 years. it only ran for 6 months and i tried to fix it when i swapped out the stock pump but the float isn't stuck and i don't know what the problem is.

What does the sending unit do besides hold the pump and register fuel? How does it read the fuel from the float? Not trying to hijack but I can't seem to figure this out and i don't want to take out the tank again. Is there something else that controls the gauge?

chiltons manuals suck.... wish i got a hanes.

5. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

the float tells you how much fuel you have the sending unit is in mounted with the pump if it is bad you will have to pull the tank again

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sending unit essentially uses a rheostat and the gauge interprets the resistance...the float has a small metal arm on the end of it that rides against the rheostat.

You can actually clean the rheostat, it made a difference in how accurately my gauge read.