Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where is the wire from the cigarette lighter supposed to go?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Apr 7, 2002.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

The wire running to my cigarette lighter just ends. Is it suppsed to go to the fuse block or what?

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

It's an orange wire that should go to the fuse box. It should be marked as "Bat Fused" or something similar.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

One wire from either prong on lighter (doesn't matter which one) to power source at fuse box, either ignition hot or constant hot (I use ignition hot). There should be some open prongs on the fuse box to plug into. Make sure the other wire from the cig lighter is to ground. Use a test light to find an ignition hot prong in the fuse box.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It does matter what prong you use for "HOT" on the back of the lighter. One is for the "GROUND" and one for "HOT". I had to try to hook mine back up with the lighter still attached to the dash and missed and got the wrong prong and kept blowing fues. I thought I had the correct prong until I finally removed the damn lighter from the dash. DOH, wrong prong.

5. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

The rule for cig lighter housings is:

Center = +12VDC ("hot"), outer = ground or no connection.

The outer prong on the housing grounds to the ashtray/door assembly, which is chassis ground in itself. Connecting the "hot" wire to this prong will blow fuses, as previously mentioned.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Don't think it mattered on the aftermarket one I bought, if I remember the package directions correctly. Of course, I do have CRS, so maybe I don't remember correctly, or at all /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif. Good to know the rules however.