Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where should I cut off for a cool air intake?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by weisel, Mar 12, 2001.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I have a 77 k5 and plan to do the cool air intake/snorkle type of thing so my engine sucks air from behind the grill. I have the splash gaurd, tubbing, but dont know where to cut off the thing on the stock air cleaner. Should I leave the heat riser stuff on, or cut it off above it.

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

If you live in a God forsaken state like mine (IA) where its gets real COLD during the winter, keep the heat risers. They help to make sure the carb isnt sucking air thats too cold. Personally I'd drop the little snorkel on your aircleaner because they're so tiny. Get an air cleaner from an 80's F/S truck/Blazer. This setup is designed to suck cold air and will allow more air volume to reach the carb (wider snorkel). You dont have to do any cutting on the cleaner, just plug in your tube. You could also do a duel snorkel setup and really chugalug the air.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

well if you look next to your radiator above the expansion tank you will see a knock out for the factory set up. then hit the local Junk yard and get the factor snorkle pipe of a newer truck. there is also a plastic splash gard that will screw into the hole in the core suport. Then your factory set up.
    Now fair warning. this is great for the street but when you go wheeling pull it out of the grill and turn it behind the battery so if you go swimming you don't shoot water straight down the throat of the carb.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

4. Ditchdigger

Ditchdigger Registered Member

I really agree with Blazerboy keep the heat riser
    if you live in cold climate, I live in ND and it can get
    damn cold you get faster more efficient warmups
    and as for the snorkel 80s an newer are larger but i'm not sure if the splash guard will fit the radiator support hole on yours and like grim reaper says anytime you feel like water take it off as a precaution!
    Glad to help!

If it ain't intimidating / It ain't a Chevy!

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It has the spash gard. It's the peice that the snorkle attaches too. Maybe bug gard would be a better description. It is a plastic plate that keeps bugs, water, dirt clods from having a straight shot into the snorkle. These started to be used somewhere between 75 and 79. My 75 didn't have it my 79 does.
    My 75 was a big improvment when I converted it to the later style by installing a factory snokle and air cleaner off a 86. The biggest help was not even the clean air from the grill it was the less restrictive air cleaner. the stock 75 has a small inlet hole that restricted the air flow. This corrected a major ping problem I was having at high speeds. It improved my gass millage and definatly made the truck much happier in the summer.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>