Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where should I move to?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, Jul 7, 2003.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Here's the deal. I'm in the Air Force and should be coming due for an assignment soon. I was supposed to get one back to Illinois but now I'm not sure that's going to pan out. So now, the wife and I are looking at mountainous areas. Some of my possible places are:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Denver, CO
    Great Falls, MT
    Salt Lake City, UT
    maybe Tacoma, WA
    or 2 in Missouri..1 western , 1 south central

Just looking for opinions from anyone that lives in or near these areas

thanks

2. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Have you thought about Luke AFB, Arizona The best weather minus a couple of months of 110 degree dry heat.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm located close to Ellsworth AFB in western South Dakota. The Black Hills are awesum. Great wheeling, lots of history, very nice place too live. Only bad thing is all the damn tourest in the summer. Oh yeah, Sturgis is only 30 miles or so away from the base if you're into the bike thing.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

anywhere but AZ, vegas is cool, nellis afb is there. i miss that town.

5. big pappa b

I've been looking into Luke AFB also. For my job, weather forecaster, AZ ould be easy. I really hate working at bases with Fighters though. However, here in Delaware we have the C5's and sometimes they can be a pain too.
    Being that close, I don't know if I could fend off the temptation of Darth Truggy /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Z3pr: Yep, into Harley's. I have a 68 FLH Electra Glide that I rebuilt from the ground up.

I'm so undecided right now. Wherever I move I want to be able to buy some land without having to go broke doing it. A place for whheling is good but I need hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities

6. big pappa b

I think right now we are leaning to Montana or Colorado ....if I have a say in the matter

7. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

I say Montana, thats where I want to go. So you used to be stationed at Scott AFB? My dad was stationed there before he retired.

Jon

8. big pappa b

I was stationed there from 1996 to 2000 but I grew up about 10 miles from there..so I was home for a while

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wait, you get to pick where ur stationed? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif dang air farce!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j, usmc.

10. big pappa b

For the most part, yeah. I know the Chief that does our assignments /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I can tell him where I would like to go but it's not a given. Just looking for somewhere to spend my last 5 years before the retirement /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i hear you jek, i picked east coast, i got west coast. no picking, no happy medium. lol

go to montanna!!

tom / USMC /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    wait, you get to pick where ur stationed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be nice :rotfl. In basic, they gave us the list. Everyone who wanted Ft. Carson went to Hawaii and everyone that wanted Hawaii went to Ft. Carson....

13. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i went to fort carson, had it in my contract before i signed it, along with a healthy signing bonus, then the army forgot about me and i spent all 6 years at fort carson /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Wherever I move I want to be able to buy some land without having to go broke doing it. A place for wheeling is good but I need hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities

[/ QUOTE ] We got good hunting and fishing around here. The price of land varies. Land in the hills near Rapid City is kinda high, but if you don't mind a 20 min. drive, it's not bad then.

15. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

As a weather forcaster, the perfect place would have been Vandenburg AFP in central CA. But there is no wheeling, fishing or hunting. As far as weather is concerned, they need all the help they can get because they want nice weather for shooting off the ICBM missle tests that they do there. And usually it's foggy... It's a beautifull base that covers 35 miles of beach. But like I said, it's in CA and there is no wheeling to speak of but sand dunes, no hunting, and not much fishing unless you are into lake fishing or ocean fishing. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

There is always Tinker AFB. Being a weatherman, this place would keep you busy. No mountains, but land is cheap and plentiful. Disney, OK. is about a 2 1/2 hour drive. I grew up in Montana, and that's where I'd like to go if I had a choice. Don't know what the land prices are like there anymore, but there sure are a lot of Californians moving there, so the land prices are bound to skyrocket.

John

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    i hear you jek, i picked east coast, i got west coast.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hear ya brother... I had "guarenteed west coast" in my contract... spent my first deployment stationed in Cuba. When I heard, some pogues said that it was considered "west coast" for some really weird reason... funny thing was, when I got there, there were all kinds of guys there that were "guarenteed" east coast. lol!!! gotta wub the marines. I dont think you getta pick where you go in the corps unless a) you ARE the personel guy or b) your father is a general somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

j

18. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My top 2...

1. Great Falls, MT
    2. Colorado Springs, CO

Big country, baby! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

whats year round weather like in montana and south dakota anyways ? whats typical for summer nad typical for winter? im verrrry curious, what about vehicle testign and licensing fees and rent costs ?
    whats average costs of things in those two places ? what about CO and NM and AZ for those of you in those three other states ?

oh wait, and what about oregon and washington especially ?! even more curious about how it is out there as far as vehicle and living expenses/rules and whats normal weather year round out there too! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    i have head alot that those two states are beutiful scenery an such and tons upon millions of trucks both old and new everywhere out there

true ?

thanks

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what about CO and NM and AZ for those of you in those three other states ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on where you move in that state. Colorado for the most part is gonna be sh*ta** cold in the winter.

The parts of New Mexico (and the area I want to move to) gets cold in the winter and they get some good winter storms (ask me about my last trip home /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)