Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where should I place my Holly electirc fuel pump?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by littledonnieb, Aug 1, 2002.

1. littledonnieb

littledonnieb Registered Member

Any suggestions as to where to mount my Holley electric fuel pums. I should be as close to the gas tank as possible. Just wondering where you other K5 folks mounted yours. Mine is a 1981.

DonnieB

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a p/u not a K5 (yet), but I mounted my (same) pump on the passenger frame rail almost even with the back of the t-case. I put it there because at that point on the frame it is lower than my fuel cell so it is always gravity fed. My only regret is that the thing is LOUD! I put a piece of 1/8" thick rubber between it and the frame but it didn't make much difference. I would prefer it be quieter but it's not really a big issue for me. It might be even louder for you since the body tub goes all the way back.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Electric fuel pumps work better pushing than pulling. Mount it as close to the tank as possible.

4. wheelin72

wheelin72 Registered Member

yep easier to push than pull
    is there such thing as a submerged pump?

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah they call them in the tank pumps like most newwer cars have.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I put my holley pump on the inside passenger framerail, right at about where the crossmember is. There should be a section of rubber hose that bridges the steel lines that run down the frame. I cut in there for my return and main supply line. Have never had a problem for over a year.

7. nvrenuf

I completely agree that they pusher better than pulling. Like I said before, the reason I mounted mine so far forward of the tank was to have it below the tank. If you mount it higher than the tank the pump may be dry when first turned on or it may have an air pocket to pull through even if it initially has fuel in it. Either way dry starts can shorten pump life. Since I have a fuel cell instead of a tank my outlet fittings are on the bottom not the top, to get my pump low enough close to the tank it would have been a low hanging target. Where it is now is lower than the tank so it is always gravity fed (which helps it since I am forcing it to do some pulling).

8. littledonnieb

I'm looking at hanging it from a body rail, behind the differential and just behind the gas tank. The Holly rep said that it must me mounted vertically. Do you see any problem with my location choice?

9. littledonnieb

This where my existing pump is located. My problem is that because it is pulling instead of pushing, I am getting a vapor lock, at the fuel pump, at elevations greater than 7,000 feet in temperatures above 85 degrees....go figure. Big problem when I live at 9,500 feet (just below Pikes Peak in Colorado), and I need to drive to 6,000 feet to go to work each day. No problem in the winter or fall, but temperatures are nuts these days and I am finding my self stranded too oftem.

10. nvrenuf

"I live at 9,500 feet ", man that's crazy! I live down on the edge of the Gulf of Mexico, I think the elevation here is about 15 feet! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I bet it's nice and cool there! Here it's usually a crispy cool 95* with 100* humidity, it's like carrying a hot, wet, heavy blanket on your shoulders all the time. Quick! Someone call me a waaambulance!

The only possible problem I see is the noise. Mounting it anywhere on the body is going to transmit the pump noise inside loud and clear. Mine is on the frame with a rubber cushion and it is very noticeable inside my p/u cab. Other than that I see no problems.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do you run a fuel pressure regulator? My dads truck after installing an electric pump and regulator did the "vapor lock" thing, but for some reason, the regulator was at fault, and removing it, solved the problem.

Just to clarify that this wasn't a rash diagnosis, the truck would run fine on the freeway all day long, start fine, run around town fine, UNTIL it got up to operating temp. Since the 454 had just been swapped in with new exhaust, figured perhaps the fuel lines were getting too hot. Insulated/isolated the fuel lines as far as possible (K20) and made sure all engine bay lines were as far from heat sources as possible. Truck would STILL die at operating temp (195 constant) in around town/off road driving. Pump was replaced with larger, more powerful, same problem.

So after all of that, and removing the electric fuel pump and going back to mechanical, and STILL having same problem, he pulled the regulator. Problem has never come back.

12. littledonnieb

No regulator, just a 7 psi Holley pump installed now. Man, is this hting loud. I am headed home tonight for my first test run...wish me luck

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I think they are all loud... I put a no name in from ABC auto parts into a 86'z-28 and when you drive all the passenger hears is... tick... tick...tick... I think it is funny cuz when they ask I shay... OH HELL SOMEONE PUT A .. in.. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif