Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where should I start?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan2286, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Ryan2286

Ryan2286 Registered Member

Recently I've noticed that the rear lighting on my blazer is not working right. when the right turn siganal is on the both reverse lights and large light on the right side blink in opposite of each other. The left signal works fine. Also when I brake the large red light goes out and the small reverse light comes on only on the right side, while the left side works like it should when I brake, just lights up the big red. All of this only happens when the headlights and running lights are on, while no lights are on everything functions like it should. So where should I start looking fro the problem, is this a crossed wire or a bad switch? Thanks for the help and sorry if it is confusing.

2. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I recently had a similar problem on my '87. Fixed it by checking the grounds. turned out I had a bad one so I cleaned it up and now it works perfect.
    -Kell-

3. Ryan2286

Hey thanks. Where are the grounds located? In the truck under the dash or outside underneath by the lights? Thanks for your help. -Ryan

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Damn it sounds like a X-Mass tree /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif But you should check the grounds they are damn near all over the truck, I'm sure someone has a better idea on how to help you better sorry I can't be of more help.

Eric

5. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

The ground I cleaned up was back in the light. I had two problems the first ebing that somehow it had got some paint between the body and the ground. the second being that it is a diect shot for water getting thrown up from the rear tire. works good now. hopefully this works, I have heard of some weird wiring problems on theses lights so good luck!
    -Kell-

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I was ahving some similar problems. Ended up being my own stupidity. I mounted a fire extinguisher to the floor & screwed through the carpet & some wiring. What a B***H!! Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Take off the tail light and you will find a wire bolted to the body at one of the corners, take it off clean the surface and the connector and then reassemble, do it on both sides you should now have good functionning tail lights.

8. Ryan2286

Thanks for the help I actually had to do more than just wire brush it, I had to drill a new hole in some solid non-rusted out metal. But now they are working like they are supposed to. Thanks