Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where the *heck* do I find a spring bushing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NerdBoy, Apr 30, 2004.

1. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I had to cut the rear spring out of my truck for the lift, and I can't find anyone that stocks the bushing to replace the one at the front of the spring. The dealer told me that I would have to buy the entire spring from them to get it. Anyone ever have to replace this thing? Where did you get the part?

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I think ORD has them. Lots of places should. You're talking about the bushing that goes in the eye at the end of the spring, right?

3. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Yup.
    I need a stock one, though, not a polyurethane one, and I really need it this weekend, but the earliest it looks like I am getting it may be Wednesday.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

LMC has them. they are $10 a peice though plus shipping.
    why don't you want the polyurethane?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I doubt any store would stock them but Moog makes leaf spring bushings in rubber.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All the posts I just searched, all I could find was that Napa had them awhile back for someone.

GM has them, (or did less than a year ago) the dealer is either lazy, or stupid, more than likely both. I looked in my parts manual before (can't find the post) and the bushings were listed, and came up as good numbers on www.gmpartsdirect.com As a matter of fact, you MIGHT try their "advanced search" or whatever they have there...maybe they list suspension stuff.

I also had luck finding them in the Moog line before, but YMMV.

heres from another post I glanced at:

chevy duty (www.chevyduty.com) also has them

front spring

front 74-082
    rear (shackle kit) 74-036

rear spring

74-084 or 74-085 depending on spring eye dia.

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Just head to a spring shop. Thats what i did when i needed some. They had a set of rubber ones for my '83 toyota, cost me $10.97 for the whole set for both rear springs.

8. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, found the part number at gmdirect.com. Kinda bugs me that they gave me that answer. Looks like I won't be going back there, ever again.

I don't want polyurethane becuase that would mean that I would have to pull the other spring off again. I didn't need to cut that side's bushing, and if I can find a stock one, it would be a lot easier. Besides, no one around here carries poly in stock.

As for a spring shop, we don't have those in Southern IL. Can't find one within 2 hours of here.

Looks like I am going to have to put the project off for another week or so, until I can get a spring bushing. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll see what I can do at work on monday.

10. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I do appreciate it.
    I found a spring shop in Evansville, IN, and I am going to call them tomorrow, to see if they are open. Wish me luck.

11. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Woohoo!

Found the part in Paducah, KY, this morning. IKT warehouse had 2 of 'em! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Bought them both, so I am now the only person in Southern IL with new, in the box bushings! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. dyeager535

Are they GM parts or aftermarket?

Might be a nice idea to post manufacturer/part number when you get them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Your parts guy was just being lazy, or did not know how to look it up. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif We have alot of guys do that at my work. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It makes the entire company look stupid when they do that, but eventually customers learn who has half a brain and who doesn't and they quit using that guy.

14. dyeager535

These companies need to get some brains, fire the guys who have no brains, and give half the hourly wage they are saving by ditching the other guy, to the smart one, who is making them money in the first place.

Just a general rant, but it's so true...I'd spend less times in line if there were half the clerks, but all were twice as smart.

15. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Are they GM parts or aftermarket?

Might be a nice idea to post manufacturer/part number when you get them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually, they were Moog parts. #SB351. Those are the same bushings for the front and the back of the rear springs. #SB335 are the ones for the shackle.
    Where did that part number sticky post go? I thought there was one around these forums, somewhere...

On a side note, it was an O'Reillys store person that finally gave me the right part #, and pointed me to the IKT warehouse.
    And, at the dealer, there are only 2 guys that work that counter. Both of them have been problematic. I'm just not going back to that dealr for parts, anymore.