Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where the heck does the underhood light go?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Aug 13, 2002.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I just picked up the factory underhood retractable light. Doesn't seem to work but I haven't really sat down and fooled with it. Probably needs a bulb.
    Anyhoo-Where does it go? There's no mention of it in my Chilton's(no surprise) and there are no holes in the fenders that seem to line up. I have an 85 Jimmy. Judging by the light's leads, I'm guessing the positive went to the terminal on the firewall just to the left of the brake booster. Does the light unit mount on the hood itself? Someone has to know.

2. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I believe all the underhood lts were installed under neath the hood towards the center in the back part of the hood.Boy thats one hell of a description!On the hood,at the back in the center....I hope you know where I mean!Mike

3. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Thanks, man. I'll pull that raddy ass hood liner this weekend and see if I can find the screwholes.

4. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

my factory light sit's(base of the bulb socket) about 2 inch's into the hood liner and an inch or two to the right of center.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 89 blazer has a factory underhood light that mounts on the firewall just to the right of the A/C suitcase unit when viewed from the front bumper.

6. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

My 91 light mounts on the firewall on the passenger side right at the top near the hoses leading to the heater core.

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Mines off a later model truck but you can see where I put it in this pic. light Its in the same spot as was mentioned already, but heres a pic of it anyhow.

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Where did you pick up the light? Sounds like something I need for my truck.
    -- Mike

9. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Picked it up from a fellow ck5'er. He had one for sale. I figured what the heck since my Jimmy didn't have an underhood light to begin with. I just hope it works.

10. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Great shot, but I have a diesel and the fuel filter goes right there.

11. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

On my 89 I have a retractable one...It has a reel like a fishing rod 'kinda' and has about 6 feet of wire and the base of the light is magnetic so you can put it anywhere you need it. when you are finished with it all you do is reel it in and snap it in to its place and your are off. If this is the kind you have it bolts to the drivers side front inner fender just infront where the factory jack would be. Hope this helps.
    Mike

12. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Yea. That's the light I have. Only problem is the factory jack on my 84 is on the passenger side. You state your jack is on the driver's side. Plus, the leads are only about 18" long which, from what I've seen, means this light came from a gasser. No prob. I'll just hook it to the other battery. I'll look in that area though. Thanks.

13. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Fuel filter?! What do you need that for? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    LOL!

Mount it just about anywhere you can. It has the reel so you can take the light wherever you need it.