Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to buy a digital scale?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 11, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Where is a good place to buy a digital scale? Summit has them listed for $100 and $110 for 2000g and 3000g ones in 1g increments. Got to be something similar, cheaper out there. Ebay didn't show me much. Want to assemble my pistons and rods then prep them all to the same weight.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

.....Uh, sure. :rolleyes:

"No, officer this scale is for weighing pistons..." :D

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah when asking in class where to get a scale I just asked "so who is a coke head here?"

4. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

you might be better off letting a machine shop do it, then they can enter in the weights into their balancing machine. And balance the crankshaft.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thats the plan but why pay a machine shop to do it when I can do it myself for the cost of supplies? Should I pay them to prep my block, and assemble my motor too even though I'm completely capable of doing it for free? If I buy a scale now, I can do this over and over. I'm 19 and I've already put together 3 small blocks, and will be doing many more in my lifetime.

6. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

www.stealitback.com is a police auction site, and has a scary amount of digital scales and grow lights. Most scales are like pocket scales(duh).

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I used too have a few digital scales, but I have no need for them anymore, LOL.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First off, all the components on the engine will be balanced together. You'll get a sheet back that says how everything was balanced, in the unlikely event you need to replace a rod or something, it can be done without re-balancing everything. I've got the machine shop sheet around here somewhere...

That's a small part of the balancing process IMO, but above and beyond that, talk to a machine shop that does balancing. It's not a simple matter of the parts weighing the same from you just removing material. rod balancing

Balancing was about $100 for my engine.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

as I understand balancing, they place your rotating assembly on the balancer. Namely your crank, balancer, and flexplate or flywheel. Then they place weights on your rod journals that are the same weight as your piston rod assembly and spin it. Remove weight as needed on crank counterweights and you have a balanced assembly. I'm talking about just cleaning up my rods and pistons(go to Standard Abrasive's website and look at their Block, Crank, Rod, Piston, and Cylinder head prep sections) and just trying to get them to a standard balanced weight to make it easy.

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I've watched Coonie's racing engines prep stock rods many times. He hangs the rod journal on a "tube looking thing" that allows it to turn freely and then weighs the piston end of the rod. After that he hangs the piston end on another "tube looking thing" and weighs the other end. He does this with all of them in the set and matches them to the lightest one by polishing on each end. This is all done after removing any casting flash and other things on the rod itself that are not satisfactory. It's a time consuming task. Good luck. I'd probably try it myself some time if I didn't have them to do all my stuff.

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I bought mine on Ebay.

12. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nice but not nearly enough weight for me.

14. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

Balancing a motor consist of more they wighing pistons. Balancing has mostly to do with adding/removing weight from the cranks counter wieghts. You need a $25000 machine to do this.
    Internally balancing my camaros engines was only like 125 bux any way...when you figure i spent $3000+ on it, its no much

15. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Governmentliquidation.com has them every once-in-awhile

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

maybe a digital fish scale??