Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to buy a longblock

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MountainMan, Oct 26, 2005.

1. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

Where is(are) the best place(s) to look for buying a new longblock?

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Stock or performance?

Size?

I called Autozone the other day and they sell complete longblocks for $1200 with a 3 year warranty. Hard to beat that. That was for a 400sbc. 350 may be a tad cheaper.

I'm sure there's other places, I'm still checking around.

Also, where about in HR do you live?

3. MountainMan

350 and its going in my 86, i would like an engine thats not going to be tempermental on me but still give me more HP than i have now (which i think is about 166), say 250-300 range?

I live off broadway between Highlands Ranch Parkway and Wildcat Reserve, You???

4. Shawn

NE of Colorado and University just behind the new school and storage place they built. You're super close to Fox.

You might also see if you can get a complete 96 350 so you get the newer Vortec heads. :)

5. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

I'd check with the local GM dealer- I paid $1300 for the Goodwrench 350 with 4 bolt mains (excluding core charge, but if you have a core no big deal). I'd much rather trust the GM warranty than a local parts outhouse, Your GM dealer will be much more willing and able to get a new engine in there if it goes bad, and I think they even pick up the install labor if so. I believe it is 3 years/36000 miles for vehicles originally equipped with a 350

6. MountainMan

Very cool, well here is my thinking on the engine swap... First, the idea of doing it myself is pretty intimidating to me so i figure go with a long block and thats less for me to screw up. I have no idea what year of engine i want other than i dont want to drop 2K to end up with the same power i have now. I also dont want an engine that is so high perf that i have to baby sit it. And lastly if i can squeeze EFI in the mix i think that would be cool. This is my daily driver and i fear that as soon as i take something off it its going to be out of commission for 6 months while i figure out what the hell i'm doing LOL

so that being said, all guidance is welcome (please)

So if you ever need a extra pair of hands working on your rig Shawn let me know, i may be only good for heavy lifting but i am wanting to learn anthing i can about working on my own... :D

7. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

1700 bucks

went to my chevrolet dealership and got complete long block with warrenty for 1700 with 100 dollar core charge. might be worth checkin out

8. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Hey look on ebay there is a guy named coreman255 that sells them for a good price sometimes i got mine from him for $800 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8008853683&sspagename=ADME:B:WNA:MT:12

250hp @ 4500rpm, 350lbs torque @ 3600rpm
    12 month 12,000 mile warranty the shipping is pretty cheap and if you close enough you can pick it up like i am

R&L Carriers will deliver for $80 (loading dock) with an add'l charge of $30 for a home delivery (tailgate service) Except : Calf, Oregon and Washington we use Roadway for $150.

i think this would be the best way to go.

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Which one did you get ? Part # please

10. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    These are the most common GM Creat Motors, you pick which one will be right for you:
    P/N 12499529 350ci
    290HP at 5100rpms,
    326T at 3750rpms
    $1600.00
    or
    P/N 10067353 350ci
    250HP at 4300rpm,
    350T at 3600rpms
    $1400.00
    These are all new made in Mexico, with GM Warentty
    I say get the torque motor, its less $$$ :doah:

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Why not get a GM crate engine. I've been eyeing the 290 horse 350cid GM crate engine for a while now. [​IMG]
    Local GM dealership wants $1,600.00 for one.

12. MountainMan

very good, i was actually thinking a Crate from GM might be the wisest path... i think that 290hp guy might be it, so the engine is 1600, if i had them do the work what cost should i expect there?

also, what is the deal with emissions when you do something like this? will I pass?

13. Shawn

Its pretty easy. Just takes a little time. Be sure to get everything you need so you're not running around at the last minute. I have an engine hoist you can borrow and I'll be sure to let you know if I need a hand.

14. MountainMan

um, anyone have a list of these items? :confused:
    other than the hoist which i will take you up on, i only have basic tools.

15. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I bought a crate L31 vortec from Scoggin-Dickey Chevrolet a couple years back. It was new, not reman, for about $2200. Reasons I prefered it over the 330hp/350 the offered were: harmonic balancer included, roller cam and slightly higher compression ratio.

16. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Make sure you get the correct flywheel. The 86 motor looks like the pre-85 motors (valve cover bolts around the perimeter of the valve cover), but instead of having a two piece rear main seal like the pre-85 motors the 86 has a one piece rear main seal like the 87 and up.

Basically the 86 motor is a combination of the 85 and below and 87 and up motors.... I think all you need is the correct flywheel to make it work properly.