Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to buy a stock bumper?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dasanii19, Dec 17, 2006.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Ive looked at LMC but im just curious if there are other places you recommend to buy chrome stock bumbers to fit a 1976 k5 blazer

2. riggz

riggz Registered Member

3. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my back yard...

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't vouch for the quality, never seen a set, but LMC's process of making them appears pretty close to factory (regarding the plating) which should make them quite durable, as opposed to most aftermarket chrome plating.

5. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Check you local craigslist. They are always posting those up down around Phoenix.

6. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

are you looking for a stock front bumper? I'm selling my K10 when I put the winch bumper on. I can get pics for you if you'd like. PM me.

Thanks,

Manny

7. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I may go with a guy here locally.

Heres a picture of the stuff I may purchase off this guy, can you guys maybe give me a ballpark price of what you think its all worth? or "dont pay more then..." ??? Should I snag those fans up?

This first picture is of some of the stuff he has for sale, I think all im interested in is the dash, and the dress up kit. what should I pay for it? He says its in excellent condition...

[​IMG]

This next picture is of a grill and the part that goes around the headlights also both front and back bumpers, he says the bumpers have no dents, but I do see a small bit of rust. what do you guys think, should I snag them up? and what would be a good deal?

[​IMG]

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Bumpers look decent, I would pay $150 for the pair as a max, I would start with $75.
    The dash... $50?

9. dyeager535

Front bumper looks tweaked to me, and I'd inspect the back side of the bumpers, as that's where they rust from, (without being scratched on the front) since they are not plated on the backside.

If there is rust on the front, I'd be leery of them, depending on how long you want them to look good.

I'd pay MAYBE $50 for a good bumper, $100 frt/rear. They are both bent in some way obviously, they aren't straight like a new one would be, so they aren't even worth half of new IMO.

10. sincity78

sincity78 Registered Member

Are you in Vegas? I'll give you my stock rear bumper from my 78.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey if you give him the rear, I have a friend here in San Francisco who is giving a front chrome bumper, just need to get it shipped.
    It's real clean too.

12. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

First off very generous offers guys and I very well might be taking you up on it. Im in Reno though... Ice man, my girlfriend lives in elk grove would that help at all for a local pick up?

Hmm, see I thought the bumpers this guy has looked kinda tweaked as well and I cant just go look at them to see for myself as they are in Folsom sacramento. I asked the guy over the phone about how I thought they looked a little dented but he said they were straight and in very good shape for "being 30 years old" but doesnt the pictures obviously look like they are dented?

Maybe I should just snag up that dash for $50 and leave the rest alone? Opinions? how about that dash dress up kit he has there?( it isnt included with the dash) I want my dash to look nice you know, should I look around for somehting else? Ive already cleaned up my gauges and the wood looking face that covers the gauges. Since I already have the whole gauge cluster out, how hard would it be to pull the dash to put another one in? is it alot harder then it seems or is it just a few screws holding it in?

More pictures from this guy..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some mirrors he has for sale too. $15 each you think?

[​IMG]

13. dyeager535

[​IMG]

there is where I *think* I see problems. (and in review, I see more small potential problem areas, shown are bigger ones though) Rear bumper on the passenger side top doesn't look like it's straight along the top, which would be indicative that the corner has been bumped on something. Could be optical delusion though too. :)

Anyone that says "they were straight and in very good shape for 'being 30 years old'" automatically gets my red flag. Either bumpers are in good condition or they aren't. If the chrome is worn in spots, if they are rusty, or dented, or anything else, they are NOT in good shape. I make it clear when I attempt transactions via email that I want pristine parts, if that's what I'm after. Pristine means different things to different people, pristine to me means like it left the factory, except maybe some marks where the bumper bolts seat.

Those mirrors look like cheap chinese repops, that blue sticker on the inside drew my attention. Of course, apparently there are good repops that are stainless steel (yes, that's what factory "chrome" mirrors were made of) but I doubt many people pay up for that.

Speaker grill on the dash APPEARS uncracked, but I can't see the dash vent area, and the picture is just too low quality to tell for sure there aren't blemishes/cracks elsewhere. If it's good, I'd say $50 is more than a fair price, be careful that it's not a cheap repop either though, some of that stuff won't fit right. As good shape as that pad APPEARS to be in, I'd think it to be a newly installed piece from wherever, most are cracked at least a bit somewhere on them.

14. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Thanks for giving me a thorough reply, that's exactly what I was looking for. I just have never dealt with these types of parts before and needed someone else's perspective. When I find someone like this that has all these "great deals/parts" I want to buy all of them up without thinking so thank god Im on this forum to keep me in control.... I'm trying to learn as much as I can without being too impatient, If I had it my way I would want my truck to look nice quick!! but things just dont work like that (well unless you have lots and lots of mooooney) and I dont so I need to just do what im doing and things will soon come together and not just together but exactly how I want it .. Again, thanks for helping me out..

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you want I can swing by and check out the parts in person if the guy is in Folsom, by the way what is his name? I probably know him :D
    If your girlfriend is in Elk Grove that is perfect, I have a house there I am fixing to sell, so if/ when I get the bumper I could give it to her.

16. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

His name is Trevor, Im not sure what I want to do yet. I guess ill just think about it for a few days. Hey Ice man, yea if you can get your hands on that bumper and its in good shape heck yea ill come pick it up from ya :D That would be awesome man. Please let me know

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have to talk to him again, he just listed it for $25 again.
    He had it for free for a while.
    I will let you know what he says.