Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to buy a welder?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Jan 20, 2007.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am going to get me a millermatic 135 here in a couple of weeks when the tax man pays me back and I am wondering where yall would recommend buying. I think the best I have found is Cyberweld or something like that. I found a 135 with cart and everything minus helmet and bottle for $619. I need to stay with 115v as that is all I have in my Condo:o. (well in the garage at my condo, I could weld in my laundry room I guess as it has 220 so does my kitchen for that matter:haha:). Back on topic I want a 135 as it is a fairly big 115V mig and I have been told millers are the **** and I want infinite voltage and line speed controls.

Thanks

Ira

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

What I did was check all the Online vendors, find the cheapest price and print it out. then I went to my local welder supply, showed them the paper and see if they price match.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I bought my Miller 175 through http://store.cyberweld.com/ about 5 years ago. I have no complaints with dealing with them. I used a Miller 135 and thought it was a pretty good machine and had no problem welding 1/4" with it.

4. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

$681.41 at http://www.ramweldingsupply.com/index.mcic . I bought my Hobart from them but Fresno Oxygen is 20 minutes for me, they are part of Barnes. Thats shipped to the house.

I just noticed yours is with a cart, thats a good deal!

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

from my friend at 25 over his cost . :eek1: :haha:

and i own all my tanks also. :eek1: :haha:

6. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

i get them free from work, it's a good deal. getting a new (used) miller mig next week.

7. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got my Lincoln SP125 from a place called Indiana Oxygen who sells a lot of new welding supplies on Ebay. I paid about $ 450 or so and picked up a cart at Lowes for about $50. I was happy with their service and price.

8. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

cyberweld is best ive found

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Do you happen to know what west-air sells them for? They are a dealer and there is one aboot 2 blocks from my house so I was gonna check them out next week when I can get around some.

Ira

10. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

im not sure about west air but air gas in kearny mesa area i checked out last week and it seems like all machines are a couple hundred more than cyberweld who delivers for free anyways.. gotta get gas from west air or air gas probebly but the machine i get from cyberweld

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

All right kewl thanks

I gotta get a tank and I figured I would check there. Stoody in National City has new 40SCF tanks for $80 and it is $22 to fill. I will see what west air wants for a tank and what they charge to fill. National City is a ways to go for gas. I do work out that way but if I need it I dont wanna have to drive if I dont have to.

Ira

12. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

how big of a tank you want? air gas had a very small one a medium then a big one the medium they wanted like 120 for the botle and 60 somthing for a co2/argon mix .. so sounds like youll be getting a sweet deal on gas at the other place .. ill try and get set up with a tank and gas from my work when i buy a welder and stop fabbing at my buddies house .. buddy has bender ,mill,lathe,tig,mig,plasma so its hard to not go up their and fab up cool ****

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am gonna get a 40 SCF bottle it is like 7" X 21".

Ira

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Doesn't have infinite voltage control.

I am set on the welder I just need to find the best price. If you can show me another welder that has exactly the same specs as the miller for cheaper I am open. I understand Hobart and Miller are essentially the same thing with a few differences but the voltage control is a big thing to me.

Ira

16. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

also one thing you might wanna do is ive heard good things about the new miller dvi which is about another 400 bills but you can use 110v and then also 220v if you want for higher amp.... welder is somthing that will last for a long time unless you decide to sell it to upgrade or need money

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I can always upgrade to a 220 later. I do not do a lot of fab stuff so I do not have a large demand for it. I have to buy a house first then I can get the shop then I can get my 220 welder and Plasma cutter:D.

Ira

18. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

yea what you planning on welding. thickness wise? that dvi is not that much more ..will it is and it isnt .. could prevent you from buying twice since it is 220v also .. just thought id mention it if you havent seen it yet

19. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya I was thinking about that but it is not in the budget right now. I do not weld anything thicker than 1/4". It will be mainly my cage and any tube work for the front when I remove the fenders. I have an idea to make a flatfender style front end for my K5.

Ira

20. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

yea .. i know how budgets go .. im still hoping to get a cage my hydro assist done before tds .. you still gonna go? miller is def best choice .. check west air before ordering cause who knows they may be cheaper on the gas and bottle if you buy a machine ... looks like youve done almost all the footwork already