Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to buy an electric motor.

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by BadDog, Jun 27, 2004.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, I finally killed my HF band saw last night. One of the only really weak parts of the saw is the motor, and like most ChiCom electric motor, the HP rating is VERY ambitious and the quality is very poor. Still, it's been beat to death, having worn out and/or broken around 20 blades so far. And to be fair, it was my fault. I had been cutting some fairly large stuff for a steel rack and shelf system and ran out of water. I started the last cut of the day and went to refill the water bottle, got side tracked for about 5 minutes, and went back out to find out that the smoke had been let out of the motor. It had apparently jambed right after I went in and the motor housing is cooked, the labels started peeling off, tripped the 20A breaker, and it looked like a smoke signal going up.

So where can I get a small motor for this thing? This is the saw and I'll get the shaft diameter later. Supposedly "1hp" but in a real american made and rated motor, 3/4 would probably be an improvement. I've seen no limitations due to power or quality, so I'm not really interested in buying a "good" industrial quality motor. And yeah, you guys know I'm cheap...

[​IMG]

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Until you can get/find a good motor, find an old dryer motor and put on it. I've got one on my bandsaw and its been there for close to 5 yrs now without any troubles, plus it was actually better than the factory JET motor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Until you can get/find a good motor, find an old dryer motor and put on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad has had these motors on his bench grinder, bandsaw and table saw for the past 20 yrs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Cool,thanks for the idea... Now to find an old drier...

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

PM me, I have an old one or two I can scrounge up from work, actually have a warranteed one some idiot installed , tried to return when it wasn't the problem , I took it back to avoid a scene , and can't sell new now . I actually also have one I need to give to Bob next time I see him too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW use an old washer motor instead , they are heavier than dryers /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Try Grainger. I am sure you have one near you. They will have it. You usually need an account (which is easy to setup, or PM me and I will give you an account number to use). They have a huge selection of motors and will have one for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Grainger is in Tempe AZ on wilson st, near broadway and roosevelt /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

There is also a Grainger in phoenix on 30st street and washington. Just about a 1/2 mile west of 4wheelers supply.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Grainger is also on 33 ave and Virginia. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Let play more name the local grainers. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif