Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to buy bungs??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jun 8, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I am looking for bungs to weld into my sliders to make them air tanks and I cant seem to find them, I looked at home depot and I couldnt find them, does anyone know where to buy them? Maybe lowes or tractor supply.
    Thanks

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

You could use an appropriate size nut as a bung... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Huh, hu hu hu,....heh...he...heheh.....He said BUNG!!!
    [​IMG]

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Did the general concensus ever figure whether 100 or so PSI would be dangerous when released suddenly? I thin they came up with a "No, quit being paranoid"

5. Resurrection_Joe

Oh, and you can weld a large piece of square solid steel to them, and then drill and tap

6. 85mudblazin

ok thanks I guess ill try the nuts.
    Thanks

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I usually tell people to buy a galvanized or black pipe 3/8" NPT male to 1/4" NPT female adapter (AKA reducer) and weld it on. Just don't breathe the galvanizing.

Otherwise, weld a plate in, drill a 7/16" hole, and tap it with a 1/4" NPT pipe tap. It'll cost you about $7.50 for a good tap.

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

In Texas, it shouldn't be a problem, but they won't be called "bungs". It's a weldable pipe fitting called a "couplet". Pronounced just like it looks. Look for a piping supply house. I think they have a Wilson Supply down in your area that you should be able to find them at. PM me for more detail if you need to.

John

9. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]
    Did the general concensus ever figure whether 100 or so PSI would be dangerous when released suddenly? I thin they came up with a "No, quit being paranoid"

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's a brittle metal then yeah, it'd be something to worry about. But I bet he's not using a brittle metal.

10. 85mudblazin

I ended up using the pipe couplers but I fell really stupid because I got everything on like the guages and fittings for the hose and I went to fill them up but then i realized that I never put in a valve to fill them up!!!! yea im stupid, what can I use? I looked at a regular air tank and it had a valve stem like off a car tire will this work?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Resurrection_Joe

Just tie in a male quick connect somewhere in the system and use that

12. 85mudblazin

Are you talking about what you plug the air line into?

13. Resurrection_Joe

Well what do you have coming out of the tank to hook the hose to? Whatever it is, hook a comprssor up to that and fill till it's 100 psi or so

14. 85mudblazin

its just the standard air connection, like the one that you pull back a sleave and push the air hose into it and then let go and the sleave slides back over the end of the connector. I think I know what you are talking about but how would you fill it up at a gas station since they all have the fitting for a tire valve?
    Thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. CyberSniper

My air system is pretty simple. I have the pump under the hood. The pump has a male quick coupler fitting on it. The hose that goes to the tank has a female quick coupler on it.

Also coming out of the air tank (my air tank has 5 different bungs, two I have plugged and another one I have a drain petcock in) I have another self-coiling 50' hose. The hose is permanently mounted inside a piece of PVC pipe in front of the right rear tire.

I use the thing below to fill my tank with my home compressor before I go out in the woods. Saves wear and tear on my onboard compressor. It also lets me fill any tank I have on any vehicle I have with any air compressor that has a shrader style air chuck. It comes in handy.

This is the one I'm giving my Dad for Father's Day along with a compressor. Most good hardware stores will have all of what you see below. It'll cost $12-$15 depending on if you use a cheapy coupler or a Milton one. I spent $150 on air stuff including Milton couplers to plumb my Dad's garage for Christmas so I went el-cheapo on him and only got him a Campbell-Hausfield one. They interchange as long as you use the right series from either.

[​IMG]

16. 85mudblazin

Thanks I think tomorrow I am going to go to tractor supply, they should have what I need.
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

If you don't have a compressor on the truck those tanks won't last very long. Even a 33-1250-15 has a lot more air in it than you think.

In geek speek:
    at 1 atm (14.7 psi) a 33 holds more than 4.5 cubic feet of air (that is the tire at 0 psi on a tire guage). At 30 psi on a tire guage it would take around 9 more cubic feet of air to fill. A 3"x3" square tube would need to be 14 feet (or two at seven feet) long to hold 6 cubic feet of air at 100 psi on a guage.

1 cubic foot = 7.48 gal

In other words, you have an awsome start for a air system for you rig. But the tanks alone will leave a little to be desired. Not trying to burst the bubble.

As for filling it up at a gas station, there are adapters for an air fitting to have a tire style valve.

18. 85mudblazin

All well I already have everything made so I may as well try them out and see what happens.
    Thanks for the info though.

19. CyberSniper

Yeah, I agree. A 5 gallon tank only brings one tire (33x12.50r15) on my truck up 17psi. Basically, a 5 gallon tank at 115psi only brings one tire up from trail pressure to highway pressure.

The reason I have the tank is so I can put a tire back on the rim. If you've ever seen a person try to get a tire back on the rim with only a York and no tank you haven't lived yet. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif It's a lot of work because even the "big" York that flows 8cfm isn't enough unless you get real lucky.

"I don't know why it isn't going on..."
    "Well, first of all, you need to get the weight off the tire."
    "Can I borrow your Hi-Lift?"
    "Yeap."
    I go grab my bottle of Windex after I use my Hi-Lift on his rig.
    He clinks around spending five minutes trying to get it to go back on with his buddy revving the engine to get more volume.
    Nobody knows why I have the Windex bottle and no one asks.
    He gets frustrated and remembers some people use ratchet straps to squish the tire to push out the beads.
    "Can I borrow a ratchet strap?"
    "Yeap. Just don't get it muddy." I try not to grin after that one.
    He sticks it on there and gets mad at it because it doesn't work.
    "Do you need some help?"
    "Yes, please."

I remove the core from the valve stem, dump some Windex on the beads, stick the chuck on the valve stem, and pop the bead on. I pull the chuck off and let the air out while he says "hurry up and put the core back in" and I'm like "...?" turns out he thinks the tire is going to "fall off" the bead. I yank my ratchet strap off, put the core back in, and let him put air back in the tire while I retrieved my Hi-Lift. Some people's parents just shouldn't let their kids have their Visa and allow them to torment Onboardair.com.

20. 85mudblazin

I think I am just going to make a co2 tank, not the powertank its way to expensive, I can find everything except the right regulator, I need one that flows alot of air and can still run air tools anyone know where to get one cheap??
    Thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif