Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to buy cucv shackles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by low 84, Mar 28, 2005.

1. low 84

low 84 Registered Member

are there any military surplus places or any place for that matter that sell the cucv shackels and the mounts that bolt to the frame?

thanks

2. blacksheep10

blacksheep10 Registered Member

I guess that I don't know what the difference is in a cucv and stock shackle, have never really paid attention. what is the differnce? I have a friend that buys cucv's, but I have never seen anything different. Do you have a pic of what you are talking about?

3. low 84

low 84 Registered Member

i'm talking about the shackles that come out from the bumpers and the frame brackets, not the leaf spring shackles

[​IMG]

4. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

A good hardware store or a wire rope supply shop.

5. low 84

low 84 Registered Member

i can get shackles at tractor supply, what i was mainly after are the brackets that bolt to the frame and come through the stock bumper for the shackles to hang from

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

post this in thee wanted section. there is a member here that sells this stuff from the trucks he strips. and most of it goes on ebay. he just sold about 25 2-3 weeks ago on there. ebay seller name is ( brtruckparts ) nothing for sale now but try him. he gave me a great deal on a frt bumper and all shackel hardwear and grillgard.

7. low 84

low 84 Registered Member

awsome. thanks!

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The guy I bought mine from posts on here once in a while. His e-mail is muddobber40@yahoo.com or something close to that. I can look it up if you need it. He parts out CUCV's (both trucks and blazers) so anything that's on them he can pretty well get. He's the guy I got my D60/14BFF combo from. Excellent to deal with.

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The brackets are just 2.5" x 1.5" rectangular tube ... .250 wall, I THINK, but I'd hafta check, with various holes drilled in them and one end kinda radiused for the shackle.

If you have an 81-91 frame, I suppose the "real thing" would drop on nicely ... of course, like an idiot, I forgot that my 73-80 frame was different. The rear ones actually went on okay, but the front took some work. :dunno:

But the CUCV shackles are nice :D

-- A

front-shackles.jpg

rear-shackles.jpg

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not to hijack, but dremu...can you use those shackles at off road parks in your area? Most of the parks around here only allow the screw pin shackles instead of the ones where you pin the pin in place. I think they're afraid that if you side load them real hard the pin could slide out of place and you'd have a cannonball...I've never seen it happen...just wondering :dunno:

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tough looking tow mounts there Dremu. Great job! :waytogo:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  12. low 84

low 84 Registered Member

these would be going on an '80 so i'm wondering what modifications it takes to make them fit? you wouldn't happen to have pictures of how you mounted yours to the frame would you? i might just make my own mounts if the real ones are that much work to get to fit

13. Bunker Buster

Bunker Buster Registered Member

Ryan, I can snap some pics of mine for you. Or if we meet up for the tires this weekend, you can have a look for yourself.

14. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

give this guy a shout admin@brtruckparts.com he hooked me up with a complete cucv blazer bumper w/ rings and all assoc. brackets. I installed it over the weekend and it is pretty much a straight swap w/ stock blazer bumper. I know where a m1009 truck bumper is which you can have if you want to dig it out of the mud. the truck its on has been used as a obstacle for my buddies rock crawler so its kinda sunk in the fine wylie mud

15. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

man! thanks for all the compliments guys.. low84 I sent you a pm

also...dremu....I sold you those bumpers last year...look good....

16. dremu

Interesting. I wonder that the threads on the screw type are better?

Huh. Anyway, as you can see from the seatless state of the truck, it's not quite ready yet, so I donno. (Actually it has seats now, but no brakes or wheels as it's undergoing the axle swap currently :) )

-- A

17. dremu

Thanks! Yeah, they went on pretty well. Few coats of spray can bedliner and some rattlecan paint, and voila :D

-- A

18. low 84

low 84 Registered Member

so will the cucv bumpers from the newer trucks just bolt right on the 80 and older frames? or are there some modifications? i might just buy a set of the front and rear bumpers and shackles since i don't have a rear bumper anyways.

if you could tell me what all it takes to get all the cucv stuff on the older frame i would really appreciate it

19. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

just need to cut the frt of the frame like a 81-up style and redrill a few holes.

20. dremu

Mmm. It's a lot of work, and requires some or all of cutting your frame to trim it, and fabbing brackets and stuff. I wouldn't necessarily do it again if I hadt he chance ... but my sitch is complicated by having a hidden winch that goes inside the frame rails up front, and requires the factory bumper ... it was odd.

A CUCV bumper -- for the purposes of this discussion -- is just an 81-91 bumper. (They also have the cutouts for the shackle bracket tube things, but those can be made in a regular bumper :) )

If you have a 73-80 frame, I'd consider just banging a coupla holes through your existing bumpers, hanging out some tube, and dropping out whatever shackles you like on it.

But that's just me. Either way, you and your metal shop and welder will be familiar, it's not a bolt on.

-- A