Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to buy D60 spring plates and u-bolts??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yeild2me, Feb 22, 2006.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I need the spring plates and U-bolts for a 6" lift for a Dana 60. Anyone know where to get them?

I ordered the lift for a 3/4 ton because I didnt see a listing for a 1 ton. Plus the front axle on the truck is a 10 bolt and for a while I considered just keeping it on there. But know I want to sling my 60 under it.

I also need a steering block or a drop arm....back to shopping!!!

Thanks Rob

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Get the plates fron Kert at DIY4X( a vendor here, very nice beefy stuff) You can get the ubolts through ORD, and several other places as I'm sure people will post.

3. tacomuncher

tacomuncher 1/2 ton status

cheep way

i cut the old ones off grinder chizzl hammer and cleaned them up. beamed them on. then i went on a junkyard mission and scored some u boltz. 10 bucks. save ur coin

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

why bother?

i had custom 5/8 inch u bolts bent to my specs for less than $40. included nuts washers and bolts. as close as your local spring shop.

i would never use used u bolts. too much at risk. for setup and in an emergency ok, but never on purpose.

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How do you bend Grade 8 rod? I'd reuse old Grade 8 U-bolts rather than el-cheapo new grade 2 or grade 5 bent rod. Most of those cheap U-bolts use tall nuts because a standard nut will lose its threads long before it gets to 125ftlbs.

6. CyberSniper

If you're going to buy U-bolts, I like SuperLift brand. They're nice and strong, come with thick washers, and have strong nylon lock nuts.
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92952&highlight=superlift+3418

Spring plates... I'd either make your own or buy some used ones. Either use 3/8" plate and ribbing or 1/2" plate. Anything less will bend.

Now, the question is, who makes a U-bolt kit for a 77.5-79 HP60.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

everyspring shop ive been too bends them on site, all grade 8 rod... 45 bucks last time i went and that included the nuts and thick washers. As for goin to a junkyard for ubolts????:eek1: braver than i am... As for the steering bock dont do it. quite a few guys have had problems with it. i would go with a raised steering arm.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yep got mine form him, uber beef love them
    got to paint them than i will post pictures

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

u bolts are something that after removal are not suppossed to go back on. I mean yeah if you just installed a new set last week, sure nothing wrong with removing and reinstalling over and over for a while, but if you are under a 1980 1 ton removing 26 year old u bolts to say $30, reevaluate your concept of safe vs cheap...

10. tacomuncher

tacomuncher 1/2 ton status

:waytogo: im a cheep and poor kid so 40-60 buck on some u bolts that can be found in a juck yard o well. thats gas money. lol bring an extra on the trail.haha + living in santa barbara they wanted 85.00 for custom bent grade 8.

11. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

ask the spring shop to do it with their u-bolt bender?

12. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

honestly not to step on your toes but its bad enough that you do it but dont recomend it to someone else. All in all its not safe and could cause seriour injury.

13. CyberSniper

Every time I've tried to bend anything Grade 8 it bends... but has a ton of fissures in it... unless you heat it then it isn't Grade 8 anymore.

14. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i dunno, ive had at least 5 sets made locally and no problems. must be the way that it forms it around the dies. or perhaps a different grade of steel for the u bolts.

ive had 2 sets of 90 degree bends, and 3 sets of actual u bolts made. got any spring shops around to go check out? the one i go to mostly messes with big rigs, but they do auto stuff too.

15. CyberSniper

Yeah, I guess they could be more fully hardened instead of being case hardened like most "grade 8" stuff seems to be these days. There are a few places around here to get U-bolts made... none of them impress me. One place sells industrial stuff and if you smack the U-bolts with a hammer the metal actually deforms. My SuperLift U-bolts... you smack those with a hammer and the hammer bounces back at you.

My Dad bought a bunch of CarQuest U-bolts a while back to put his lift springs on his Dana 35. Those axle tubes are paper thin and the threads pulled on the U-bolts before the spring pack was even compressed all the way. He ended up double-nutting them until he got some SuperLift ones.

16. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Thats what I did. No one had any in stock, even ORD. So I borrowed the set from my buddy who would not sell them and took them to Rite-Way Springs, a truck spring maker in Sun Valley, Calif. They made them in about 10 min. total. 30 bucks, I think, with the washers and nuts.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I need to try and locate a shop to do mine. I had some made but they are not the right size(too long and not zinc coated). So I need to see if someone can get me what I need. Turns out no one seems to stock 4" rounded 5/8" U-bolts...

18. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

what the hell requires 4 inch u bolts?

maybe a dana 80 or aam 1150?

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ford High Pinion Dana 60 converted to spring plates above the spring ;)

20. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

ahhh....

i see