Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to buy DOM in AZ

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by bigyellowjimmy, Feb 12, 2005.

1. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Im finally getting around to building a rear bumper and need some 2" DOM tubing, where's the best place to buy in the East valley, or PHX? Ive heard of Southwest Metals, anyone had any experience there? Does everyone recommend .12 wall?

Ive never worked with tubing before so any tips are appreciated! :thumb:

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I usually get it from SW metals. Gotta get some in the next few days for links. But for a bumper, I would use common 0.120 HREW. Or if you really expect to whack it, maybe thicker for the impact areas. But IMO, DOM is wasted on a bumper...

3. bigyellowjimmy

Will there be issues bending thicker than .12 wall tubing? Does it come in 10' sticks? Im going to need about that length by the time it wraps around.

Thanks in advance for the info :thumb:

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

They will cut for a small fee, but it's generally going to be in 20' sticks. Bending larger than 0.120 depends on your diameter and the bender. I have only bent up to 1.75 x 0.120 on my bender, but I know it's rated for more.

5. bigyellowjimmy

I'd better check to see if the bender can do any thicker than 2", 0.120

I do know its not hydraulic and they only have 1.5 and 2.0" dies. I had no idea the sticks came in 20' lengths, I'll either have to bring the trailer or have them cut.

Thanks for the info :thumb:

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

South west steel (same shop baddog is talking about) will do any length DOM (within reason). I needed some 5 foot pieces for my draglink and they were fine with that (only the $1 cut charge).

As for bending it. Most .120 wall is easy to do. 2" isn't much. We did some 1.5" .250 wall DOM with a manual M-tech for draglinks. It takes two people for the thicker stuff (and can bend the pins). I think DOM is a little over kill for bumpers myself. I have been beating mine up (2" .120 wall HREW) for 2 years and only recently have I been able to actually dent it. DOM is stronger but the point loads placed on bumpers will deform almost any steel.

My .02

BTW SW steel has cro-mo in stock in the more common sizes (but requires TIG welding and heat treating)

7. bigyellowjimmy

Thanks Matt and Russ for the info. I'll go 2" .120 wall and make the decision on DOM vs HREW after I get a price. Good to know what others are using and where to call :thumb:

8. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

DOM is about 2 time the price last time i looked just to let you know.

Andrew

9. bigyellowjimmy

Yeah pretty close, I was just quoted $2.56/ft for HREW and $4.16/ft for DOM.