Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to buy full circle universal joint clips

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Aug 5, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Like the title says, where can I find full circle universal joint clips? Also, do you guys just take a die grinder to the shafts in order to get them on?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The angle grinder is probably going to be the weapon of my choice when I try and put in full circle rings. Believe it or not ACE Hardware carries full circle snap rings in different sizes. You can probably find what you need at a well stocked ACE.

Harley

3. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

I used the slightly dangerous method of the 6.5 inch wheel on the 4.5 inch grinder. Watch your hands with it.
    I think they are 1.25 inch universal clips, My local ACE hardware had them as well.
    There is a pic in my webshots of my shafts.
    Blake

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

wrath,
    just weld the caps to the shafts. the shafts arent going to last long enough to need replacment ujoints anyway.

5. Hossbaby50

That is what I have right now. My caps are tack welded to the axleshaft in a couple spots so they can't walk out. You can always grind out the tack weld with a Dremel or something.

Harley

6. CyberSniper

Yeah... if I buy new tires for the K510 they'll be 38x12.50-15s or 38.5x16-15s which I don't suspect half ton stuff will like no matter how light I make it.

Where did you and Mentch get your tires? I'd be willing to buy a package deal because then I'll just sell the wheels to Gregg.

7. CyberSniper

She be blingin' after last week's hackattack:

[​IMG]

Oh, and can't forget the parts truck:
    [​IMG]

8. CyberSniper

Well-stocked ACE? Isn't that kind of an oxy-moron? I'm tickled pink of an Ace has grade 8 hardware, I'd never put faith in having something as obscure as full circle clips. I think I'll probably just tack weld them even though I don't want to. It served GMC_Legacy well for the last season of him wheeling.

9. Hossbaby50

I have a couple of well stocked ACE hardwares in my area. I know that at least 1 of them carries the full circle snap rings.

I have 5 runs on my welded in caps with no problems. I will probably just run my shafts till I break them as long as the needle bearings stay tight. I know with 35's, lockers, lots of torque, and rocks that they won't last forever. That is why I have 3 spare sets of axleshafts.

Harley

10. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Dino and I both got our tires from 4wheelparts.com. Free shipping and the price was the cheapest we could find. So when is Fugly 2.0 gunna be done? I am heading up for bog weekend i think so i will have to take a look at it then.

11. CyberSniper

The only place I found cheaper than 4WP is Tyres International but they charge shipping (it'd be about $65 it seems). If I could get Keith to pricematch AND do free shipping that'd be awesome. But, as of late, 4WP has been charging crating fees on just about everything...

I'm not going to put any "hard" money into Fugly 2.0 until I can make sure I can build it. "hard" money being high dollar stuff like crossover parts. When you're trying to build an entire vehicle including tires for ~$1200 it's hard to do. I found a good deal on a 10 bolt with 4.88s, an Auburn, and already converted to crossover but I don't know if I want to put the money into ditching the Auburn and regearing the 12 bolt.

The whole "having $300 into crossover/histeer" is rather offensive. I still need to find a 700R4/NP208 and then have a front driveshaft lengthened.

Plus, I still need to purchase a welder.

I'm headed home Monday to get the cab off the 87 for Fugly. I'll probably pick up a set of used tires for my truck while I'm home. So, that'll take a $400 bite out of the "Fugly 2.0" account.

Worst case I'll get springs under it with rear disc and the cab mounted and boatsided. I'll have no powertrain, steering, or tires. The only "plus" is that I might end up being here in the Spring so if I do finish it I'll get to wheel it eventually.