Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to buy mud kings or general grabber m/t

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddyblzr, Nov 28, 2006.

?

which ones do yall like best

1. mud kings xt

33.3%
  2. general grabber m/t

41.7%
  3. maxxis buckshot

8.3%
  4. dunlop mud rovers

16.7%
  1. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

hey guys ive been looking all day and i can't find dealers for a mud king tires or general grabber m/t tires.
    im looking for a good cheap mud terrain that will last me and ive narrowed it down to mud kings, dunlop mud rovers, maxxis buckshots, and general grabber m/t
    305/70/16 or a 33x12.50x16
    anybody know a place?
    which tires would yall choose?

2. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Check out the Super Sports from Wally World too. They have about the same tread pattern as the Maxxis and perform well offroad and wear good on the street. Pretty cheap too.

3. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

got any pictures? cant find them

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Too bad you're not closer. I have an almost-new set of 33" Grabbers that I've demoted to trailer tires.

They are good tires, though. I never had any complaints.

Mud King is an off-brand of BFG, so anybody who stocks BFG should be able to get Mud King. I've heard they wear pretty fast, though.

Edit: just noticed you're looking for 16". I don't recall ever seeing any 33x12.50-16 tires. And looking at General's web site, it doesn't look like they're even making the Grabber MT in the US anymore. Still have it in Europe, though.

5. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

National Tire lists Generals. Do you have an America's Tire or Discount Tire Center near you? You can get Generals from them. Can you tell which tire I voted for? I dont have any experiance with any of the toher tires but Generals work great. Be ware the Generals only have a two ply sidewall and a pretty soft compound. If you crawl the rocks much I would get something with a heavier sidewall. I dont know about the Buckshot Mudders sidewall but a friend had a set and they worked well, If I remember right they wore well too.

6. spoolnaround

I lied:eek1: National Tire doesnt list Generals. They do list the Buckshot Mudders though.

7. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Having had both, Mud Kings are 10,000,000 times worse. I am almost exclusively on Michelin/BF Goodrich tires from here on out for any radial tire on anything.

8. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

i have a set of bfg right now and i love them there great but i cant afford them. cheaper varisons will have to do for now till the money tree starts to blossum again. ive got a set of mud kings on my toyota and they seem really really hard.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Try smaller tire shops for Mud Kings . I like that brand . They are actually made by BFG ( or so I heard ) and have a many different brand names on them .

Ran Sport Kings , the AT version of that brand , and got 2.5 hard years of DD/rocks before one popped . That included losing a vale stem on the freeway and driving on one for 1/2 mile to pull off , got another year after that . Goof traction , wore evenly with the right pressure and rotations , and loved being aired down :D

I run BFG AT's now , but not for any other reason except Discount gave me credit .

10. spoolnaround

What kind of wheeling do you do?

11. 1977k5

They are most definitely NOT made by BF Goodrich. Sport Kings/Mud Kings are made by Cavalier. They are cheap knockoffs and are crap by comparison, IMO.

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats why I added the ( or so I heard ) disclaimer in plain english :wink1:

I wouldn't call them crap , I got good use out of my off brand tires . Takes rotation and proper inflation . And I really did wheel with them .

13. 1977k5

I was fairly dissapointed in how the tread and sidewalls held up to the wheeling I did at the time (my truck was stock and the wheeling was pretty mild). I had a few major chunks missing from the tread and had two significant chunks from the sidewall that showed the cords.

I wheeled my next set of tires (BFG mud terrains) much harder and they never showed any problems.

The BFG rubber was softer and seemed to hook up better. The BFG's seemed to be wearing better (though I got rid of them before they were completely worn down).

Just giving my comparison of the two brands, since I have had both in the past.

14. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

most of the wheeling this truck will see is hillclimbs, dry dirt stuff, washouts, no rocks as its mostly my DD and is super clean.
    its gonna see alot more street and highway as i have a dedicated toyota for rocks

15. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

Give This Guy A Try, They Have A Huge Warehouse About 45 Miles From My House And I Know He Has More Tires Than Whats Listed On His Site, And He Mainly Only Sells The Low-mid Brand Tires,
    But He Can Order Just About Anything, He Used To Get My Super Swampers Until I Got With Interco And Several Of My Friends And Ordered Interco's Initial Set Of 16 Sets Of Tires Thru My Business Licenese, So We Order Directly From Interco Now At Dealer Cost.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrtsZ0QQsassZccburgesstireinc

PLUS HE SHIPS FOR FREE

16. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

That doesn't match my experience. My Mud Kings haven't chunked at all, and they have seen lots of rocks. They also like being aired down, and the sidewalls have held up so far. They ARE made by Michelin/BFG, but the tire can carry one of several brand names (Phantom, Cavalier, Medalist). AFAIK, they are all the exact same tire. It is likely that Michelin has changed the compund since the time you owned a set. All of the regular BFG tires seem to be using different compunds compared to those made years ago, so I wouldn't doubt the same is true for these.

One thing I know for sure is that the Mud Kings are made in the USA :usaflag:. I don't know about the Generals or Dunlops, but I think the Maxxis mudders may be Chinese :yikes: I'm not positive of this - the only tire brand that I am 100% positive is Chinese is the Hankook brand. Still, unless you don't mind running Chinese junk (and putting money into their economy) I'd check on that before making your choice.

17. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Hankook tires are made in Korea. Maxxis tires are made in Taiwan. They started selling the whole line of Maxxis tires here in Sweden a couple of years ago and they've become very popular. Especially their bias-ply offroadtires are really good tires for their price.

18. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Here is a link to the Super Sports. Wrong size, but it'll give you an idea what they look like. Although they have gone up since I had a set. I paid $118 a piece for the 35's a few years ago. Also I don't know if they come in a 16. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1819287&year=&make=&model=&vehicle_path=false&tire_spec_selected=&tire_width=35&tire_ratio=12.5&tire_diameter=15&tire_type=&tire_load_index=&tire_load_range=&tire_speed_rating=&tire_equivalent_load_index=&tire_size=

On the other hand, I just remembered I had the Maxxis in a 31x10.50 when my Toy was stock and they did well also.

19. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

nothing showed up in that link.

as for the mud kings ive used them in the rocks and they've been at 8 and 10 psi for about a month now going to and from the trail and ive got no problems thats why im kinda looking for them.
    anybody else got opinions. if i can find a place that sells generals or mud kings im kinda leaning that way. if not i found dunlops very very cheap at 134$ a tire
    maxxis was just one more option i found that seem to be in the same league

20. g_mo

g_mo 1/2 ton status

Look here. tirerack.com