Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to Buy New Steering Gear box????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Jun 18, 2004.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I want to buy a new steering gear box for my 1-Ton 4X4 Chevy. I do not want to buy any rebuilt boxes. I found this one company http://www.corvettesteering.com/gm%20parts2.htm that has good prices on new steering gear boxes. Has anybody ever done business with this company? I think I vaguely remember one CK5 member saying they had a good experience buying from this company. Are steering gear boxes from AGR new or remanufactured? Does anybody know of any other good sources for factory new GM steering gear boxes?

Since I have Hydroboost steering assist, I am going to keep my steering pump valving stock because I have seen some other people on this web site, with Hydroboost steering assist, complain about steering problems with enlarged steering pump valving.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

If I 'member right, AGR has received some questionable marks for customer service here... the guy who started the company has started another one which is supposed to be really cool ... PSC, maybe? A member here, DesertRat, as I recall, had a thread on this very topic.

-- A

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Just out of curiosity, what do you have against reman'd boxes? I have had a reman'd NAPA box in my "farm" truck that see's double duty on my families ranch with NO problems. it is a much cheaper route and the warranties tend to be very good...

Chris

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I spent 10 years as a mechanic, and I have seen too many remanufactured steering boxes that where crap, and nobody is going to change my mind on that. I remember I got one remanufactured steering box that had the worm gear put in backwards, and when you turned the steering wheel left, the steering box turned the tires right and "vice versa". Everybody in the shop had a good laugh over that

Ha Ha Ha.... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Cardone is supplying GM now, hopefully they don't do that to any steering boxes that end up on NEW vehicles. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have a friend that runs a salvage yard(at least he did until the owner decided to sell the property and crushed all 650 cars,now he's more of a day watchman/security gaurd)they get theese trade publications sent to them all the time that have listings for both new and rebuilt steering boxes,transmissions,even diesel engines and brand new dana 60 axles they buy from ford,gm,etc as overproduction from the previous years quota--they showed a rack of brand new rear ends stacked up like cordwood in one photo---and cost to the dealer (the salvage yard)would range from 350 to 600 bucks depending on ratio and application.I'm going to see if he'll let me take one of those listings(they look like a newspaper)they wont be buying any because the yard will be closing soon.I'd like to see if they will sell to the general public,or if its for salvage licence holders only.
    There is a place in CT called Camerota Truck Parts that sell remanufactured axles,steering boxes,transmissions,they sell some new stuff too,I assume they buy it from the newspaper" listings just described at a profit.Sorry,I dont have a link or adress for them--I'll see about getting more info,and post it here later!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cardone is supplying GM now, hopefully they don't do that to any steering boxes that end up on NEW vehicles. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the exact same thing...Napa boxes are rebuilt by Cardone and I was reading the other day that they are supplying new boxes for GM too...
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Chris

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

call tom allen at PSC. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I bought an entire system from him for my 98 and i love it. Even had it tapped for the hydro. I can turn my 35's from lock to lock on dry pavement with only one finger on the wheel. I think the whole system was about $540 including shipping