Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to buy ubolts? (also mini 4WPW rant)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Nov 2, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I went to the local 4WPW and they say they don't sell ubolts (for the axle.) Hmmmm, I bought some lift springs there before and they came with ubolts in a seperate box, but they won't sell me ubolts?
    I think if you don't go in there ready to lay down $1000 for tires or an IFS lift, they don't want to sell you anything. I used to like them, but this is the 3rd time in a row they blew me off because the part costs less than $50.

SO, where can I buy replacemewnt ubolts? I n eed shorter ones for the rear 14boltFF (getting rid of blocks.)
    I need longer one for the Dana60 (stockers are just a little too short.)

-- Mike

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

give Stephen at ORD a call they carry them

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Check your yellow pages for spring shops.
    We have several around here. They generaly go for $10 ea.
    When I went in for mine they made them up while I waited.

4. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I ordered some from summit and it took only a week to get here /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

It always ticked me off the way they look at you like you're stupid when you try to explain some modification to them. I think they figure if it doesn't bolt on and they don't sell it it's not any good or doesn't exist. They park their lifted, Armor-All-on their-All-Terrain-tired, "bolt-on"-accessory showroom-shined, trailer queens up front like their really wheelin' or something. HAA..Those little wheezers wouldn't know how to begin wheeling. The most they ever do is maybe jumping a curb trying to park. I mean the little golf-shirt wearing geek behind the counter couldn't tell me how long the different shocks are for my f250 shock mount conversion. I finally had to research it on the internet and order specific part numbers. Then the question comes,"What's it for?"...Here we go again!!

I hate dumb-a$$es.

6. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

My feelings EXACTLY! 4WPWS SUCKS If they can't just bolt it on or order it off their accounts it don't exist or is crap by THIER standards. Once they've helped you out with simple bolt on stuff they seem to put you on ignore for some other Sap about to get soaked by these FAWKERS! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Bill

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I agree with you, man. However, there's one exception at my 4WPW location. Scott drives a Samurai that he built...it's dented and always dirty. Cuts me good deals and knows what he's talking about. That's the only guy I'll talk to. The other guys don't even drive trucks!!!

8. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Try B&C Off Road in Pasadena. Ask for Kevin. He's got quite a bit of stuff like that laying around. If he doesn't have them he can tell you where to go. If that doesn't work give Texas Off Road Performance a try (I think they're listed in the Woodlands). I got some from them for my 14 bolt. Kinda pricey though. I know what you mean about 4w parts. They're a bunch of uncle fu.....well you know!

9. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

why would you pay for shorter ones? why not just cut them down and grind the ends off a bit to clean em up? as for the longer ones, find a spring shop and have them made. Mine for 42 for the set with hardware and they made them while I was paying for them. you'll need to know the inner diameter, arm length, and shaft diameter.

hehe, I said shaft...

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    why would you pay for shorter ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

I removed 4" lift blocks.

why not just cut them down and grind the ends off a bit to clean em up

[/ QUOTE ]

The threaded part did not go down low enough. I have a big tap and die set, but I thought maybe that wasn't the best idea (maybe the threads are cold rolled, I don't know.)

for the longer ones, find a spring shop and have them made.

[/ QUOTE ]

That what I ended up doing. Found a spring shop in Houston and they bent them right in front of me. The are cool in that they have more threaded length that the stockers (or the ones for the 4" lift blocks) have, so my measurement didn't have to be spot on. As is, I overmeasured and they stick out about 2" on each one. Looks good to me.

Thanks all for the input.
    -- Mike

11. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

oh, didn't think of the threads... i'm glad you found a shop

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

On the most part I have not had any problems with 4WPW, they have been pretty helpful. The one by my house was new when I first started going, and almost all the employee's were wheelers. Most of them are gone now. One guy I knew there was a member of CK5 and gave me great deals, but he too has left.

4WPW is basically the Schucks of 4WD, and I think my initial workings with them were good because they were looking to build a customer base. I still go there cause they have the best inventory of any of the 4WD shops around here. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif