Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to connect the oil pressure wire to a 454 from 91

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Mar 2, 2004.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Apr 10, 2002
    Where do I hook up the oil pressure wire to my 454? Should I just be able to use the same wire as was connected to my 350, I mean is it the same system?
  2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Use the same sender that belongs to the guage (not the motor). Chances are you'll have to a brass fitting to step it up to the correct size. There will be pressure orifices above the oil filter boss and at the very front of the drivers side of the block (about an inch above the oil pan).
  3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    That '91 has the 3 wire sender IIRC.

Unless you are running TBI already, or an electric choke, you'll need to get an earlier sender.

You CAN use the 3 wire sender/switch that was on the 454, but you'd need the right plug. The values of the switch/sender are identical to the earlier stuff, they just combined the oil pressure switch (used with choke and TBI for fuel pump) with the oil pressure sender. Plugs that fit can be grabbed from a myriad of late 80's-up GM cars and trucks, the plug itself seemed to be universal, regardless of what engine was used. (in other words, a 2.8 for most years probably used the same plug, so the plug could be used on the '91 truck sender)

I know, lot of info for a simple question, just figured I'd throw that out there for anyone looking to "simplify" underhood. I found that out with this TPI swap, instead of using oil pressure t's and two different senders/switches, I could use one, and all three wires went to one location, instead of all over the engine bay.