Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to drill the steering box for hydraulic assist?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sandman, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have found a ram and know a guy for hoses but I am not sure where to drill and tap the box. I searched and saw that some were tapped up on top and some tapped the end cap. Does anybody know where exactly to drill and tap on top of the box? Thanks.

2. Sandman

Anybody?

3. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I know Titanic did this you may want to send him a PM.

4. Sandman

Thanks.

5. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

6. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

It is actually pretty easy, but kinda hard to describe with words without pictures.

Basically, the first hole goes in the necked down portion where the hoses from the power steering pump attach. The hole needs to be perpendicular to the ground and right at where the necked down portion starts to slope up to the main box section.

The second port goes into the small rib channel that runs underneath the steering box from the front to the back. I placed this hole relatively in line with the upper hole. This hole is pretty hard to tap, because the port is not very big, so you need to drill some into the wall on the otherside a little to give added depth so the tap can thread deep enough.

A few of things to watch out for: When tapping with an NPT tap, beware not to tap too deep, as they are a tappered tap and the fittings will need to go in too deep to seal if you run the tap in too far. (Ask me how I know). If the upper fitting goes in too far, it can interfear with the piston that moves in that chamber. And the lower hole can get blocked off if the fitting goes in too far making the system slow or unresponsive which could be very hard to diagnose.

7. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

Forgot to say, that if your concerned about not drilling in the right spot, you can drill in the end cap and the top. I just don't like how the hoses splay out in different directions when hooked up like that.

8. Sandman

Thanks for all the info. Me and another guy are going to give it a try in a few weeks. The pics are a big help.