Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to find 4.11s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by possum, Jan 10, 2002.

1. possum

possum Registered Member

What vehicles and what years will I be able to find 4.10 differentials on? Vans, trucks, RV's, etc. And will I be able to keep full-time 4WD, just by switching out the hubs or whatever. I really like that luxury. I need a list so I can go looking for some. 6 lug unless that can be switched from what I have now.

2. possum

possum Registered Member

Wow, things really slide off the front page pretty quick here. Does no one know? I'd prefer 4.56, but 4.11's will do. I have no acceleration with what I have and need some lower gears for when I get my 35's.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you want to stay with 1/2-ton axles, then it's going to be VERY difficult to find 4.10's in a junk yard. That was a pretty rare option on 1/2-ton trucks. [​IMG] You best bet is to install 4.10's into your current axles.

4.10's are easier to find in 3/4-ton trucks. 4.56's were also an option for the 3/4-tons. They're more rare, but can be found. Of course, with the exception of some later model years, 3/4-ton axles are 8-lug.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. possum

possum Registered Member

not worried about staying with 1/2 ton. Or even with 6 lug as long as I can get the gears I want. With having to pull everyone under the sun out of mud holes and getting to holes they get stuck in, I fear for they safety of my rear end and front end.[​IMG] I would install new gears if I could but I don't have the money to have someone do it and from what others have said, I'm doubting my ability to do it myself.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you don't care about staying with the 6-lug, then start looking for 3/4-ton trucks. There are deals out there, if you keep your eyes open. I recently picked up a 14-bolt FF with 4.10's for $150. [​IMG] Note that if you want to install a Detroit Locker in a 14-bolt FF that you need to have an open carrier. It won't fit into the carrier for the Gov-Loc.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...