Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to find a 32 spline NP205???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4DiggerDan, Feb 20, 2003.

1. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

I've called everybody in my area looking for a NP205 that came stock behind a TH400. I even called Spaldings in Spokane... I even called A&A Midwest in Vegas... This is the last piece to my 3D jigsaw puzzle that I'm needing. I realize I'm a hillbilly and that 95% of the people in the world don't need a 3/4 ton K5. But I'm different /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

So... Where does a guy like me find one??? Oh yeah, did I mention I wanna get off cheap?

Could one of you tranny/T-case gurus tell me what years and what trucks came stock with TH400 and NP205's? At least then I can go to all the junk yards and look for myself. I'm thinking right now that I'd have better luck getting one out of a TH350 or SM465 truck and calling Advance Adapters /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I know for sure that all 1 tons from 79 thru 87 could be gotten with a T400 and 205, plus crew cabs 79 to 91. Last week over on the NW Trail Blazers forum, fellow member white-rhyno had one for sale. Might check there and see if he still has it. white-rhyno said: [ QUOTE ]
    have a 205 off a t-400. It IS a slip yolk style, came off an 85 1-ton i think.Also have a 4speed version 203 with adapter. Wanted to do the doubler, need the money. Make a reasonable offer. Pm me if your interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

3. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I might be able to find you one if you're willing to pay $200 or so, +shipping, let me know if you're intereseted and I'll look into it. Oh, its a '84, so it has a slip yoke which might make a difference.

4. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

Don't know what your using it behind..but you may not need it..read on
    --
    They are extemely rare and not very plentiful

used mostly in one-tons..behind BB and Diesels...expect ot pay up to $900 for one, if you can find one, intact, with the linkage...Usualy they want to sell the trans/transfer together..cheaper to buy a whole truck..

everything else besides one tons uses a TH350 behind a SB-350/400
    --
    NP205-27 are way more plentiful
    --
    Advanced Adapters makes two to adapt a 27 spline NP205 to a TH400

an adapter plate, 6 to 4 hole and a 27 spline cut-down output shaft about $500

they also offer the complete OEM change over, with housing and linkage for about $800, but you have to have your transfer case machined for the bigger bearing
    ***** /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    TCI makes an adapter plate, cut-down shaft for $250, I use one behind a 454...
    The cheapest way to go for a full 32 spline, and not dissasemble the transmission, is to use the TCI plate ($250), search around and get a female 32 spline input shaft and bearing for the NP205 (about $250), and have the case machined..
    --
    Unless you are doing radical 4x4 with a BB, YOU DON'T need the 32 spline..
    ===
    --
    I use a TCI 27 spline adapter behind a mildly warmed over 454, w/TH400 with a 2200rpm converter and 2.71 fist..I do burnouts regularly
    --
    ===
    It can be stripped, but I doubt if any SB will do it
    --
    The ONLY internal difference between the 32 and 27spline is the input gear, female 32 spline vs. 27 male spline and the the larger bearing for the 32 spline..

Any machine shop, should be able to enlarge the hole for the bearing...

usualy the rear drive shaft yoke comes with the larger u'joint on the 32, but you should change that if you have the smaller one anyway, they interchange

some later ones have a slip yoke..

the front C/V flange is the same

For the TH400, you do NOT need a 4x4 output shaft...the 2wd short tailshaft, is only 1/2" too long, and you cut the end off it..easy, only hardened on the surface, cut off wheel and die grinder

5. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

You'll also find 32 spline 205's behind SM465 4 speed manuals from 1 tons in the mid 80's to 91. Some of the 6 bolt circular bolt pattern 205's will bolt right up to a NV4500 with virtually no problems.

6. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    everything else besides one tons uses a TH350 behind a SB-350/400

[/ QUOTE ]

not necessarily, i have a 400/205 combo in a 80 3/4 ton pickup /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I have been told that the NP205 was the ONLY transfer case offered in 1980.
    Anyone else concur??

Hey Professor,
    Can you elaborate a little more the 2WD TH400s? What shaft lengths can be made with a short 2WD shaft.....203 AND 205 lengths??
    Have you done either of these?

8. BanksBurban

BanksBurban Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Poster: the professor
    Subject: Re: Where to find a 32 spline NP205???

used mostly in one-tons..behind BB and Diesels...expect ot pay up to $900 for one, if you can find one, intact, with the linkage...Usualy they want to sell the trans/transfer together..cheaper to buy a whole truck..

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that really what they are going for? $900 ? used?

9. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Im in the process of selling one for $400, its a little less than I wanted, but I think $900 is outrageous.

10. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys... The TH400 I have IS a 2 wheel drive tranny. Its got the short tailshaft on it. I was just wanting to keep it simple, so I thought it would be easier to stay with the 205 that was stock behind that tranny. Still... Nobody up here's got a 205. Not even that came behind a TH350.

Professor, you're right. The smallblock I'm building won't hurt it. But when I wear out my roller cam 383, I was toying with the idea of going all out... A 540 CBB /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I can gaurantee if I put a 540 in that K5, I'll break a lot of stuff /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Unfortunately, the machine shop I work in does JUST engine machine work. So I have to pay another machinist to do up the 205 if it came stock behind a 350. The good news is, I'm a wizard with a die grinder, so that tailshaft trick will save me a couple bucks. Thanks.

I traded off the diesel 700R4 for the TH400. I thought I did alright. Everybody I've talked to in the salvage yards and tranny shops tells me that if they had ANY 205, it'd be worth 200 bucks. Thats kind of what I was planning on spending. But I would pay as much as 400 for one, shipped. I get paid again soon, and 400 bucks is this paychecks "Blazer Allowance" PM me if anybodys interested... I'll give you the shop number (toll free) Of course, I'd LOVE to swap cylinder head work for a transfer case /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I could probably even talk the boss into doing block work for my transfer case...

Last question for tonight... What is meant by "slip yoke style?" Does that mean the slip yoke is in the back of the case? Or in the driveline like my '76 Scotty? I can't really see one being superior to the other /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Comments???

11. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Yes, that means the shaft deals with length changes from the trasfer case to the axle by sliding in and out of the transfer case, as opposed to having a splined driveshaft which changes length. They are cheaper for the manufacturers to produce so they are on most four wheel drives from the factory now. The drawback to them is if you break a driveshaft and want to drive home on the front shaft, when you pull the rear on out it will leak gear oil or ATF out of the transfer case. Not really a big deal unless you are going a long ways. I've actually seen plastic water bottles with the tops cut off and duct taped over the tailshaft housing keep the leak down to a seep in such a situation. On the plus side I would imagine the driveshafts are lighter and you don't have to worry about greasing the splines, since the fluid in the transfer case does that.

12. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

yes, i concur, which was one of the reasons i bought this truck when i found out it was an 80, then got it home and crawled under it, and found the turbo 400, it is a heavy duty 3/4 ton and was used to pull cotton wagons at the gin, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. S-30

S-30 Registered Member

I am also looking for a 32 spline 205. I need one with the 6 hole circular patern for behind klune v

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am also looking for a 32 spline 205. I need one with the 6 hole circular patern for behind klune v

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta wait in line, I want one behind the klune V and I am first /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif