Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to find a 4BT?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ntsqd, Aug 15, 2004.

1. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I've about concluded that a 4BT, perhaps tweaked a little - perhaps not, would work very well in my Sub. The 6BT's fit is a bit tight and I don't need quite that much power. My trouble so far has been finding one. I understand that some came already bolted to TH400's in delivery vans/trucks. If these exist one of them is what I'd like to find as I had to get the Sub's 400 rebuilt a while back. My trans guy said making it work with a diesel is mostly a matter of a diesel shift govenor and a diesel converter.

Any pointers on finding one?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've about concluded that a 4BT, perhaps tweaked a little - perhaps not, would work very well in my Sub. The 6BT's fit is a bit tight and I don't need quite that much power. My trouble so far has been finding one. I understand that some came already bolted to TH400's in delivery vans/trucks. If these exist one of them is what I'd like to find as I had to get the Sub's 400 rebuilt a while back. My trans guy said making it work with a diesel is mostly a matter of a diesel shift govenor and a diesel converter.

Any pointers on finding one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well to start:
    They were offered i\with a th400 but that case was different, just like the th400 on the AMC is different.
    You will have to find a th400 from those trucks.
    I have an SM465 from one of those trucks with mine.
    As for the 4BT, I have a source for remans and new 4bT, I will try and find the number for you, they have a place in SOcal and I have their 800 number.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

So the TH400 version doesn't have an adapter? How about those with the 465 behind them, is there some sort of adapter, or do they use a unique B/H?

4. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

let me clarify some things.
    the 4bt is a 6bt with 2 less cylinders. same water pump, injectors, and bolt patterns.

a 4bt ,iirc, is a sae#3 bolt pattern. the motor in the frito lay trucks, whether automatic, or standard used an adapter that was approximately 2" thick. it also mounts the tranny on a 10deg rotation. i was told due to the motor height that the motor was mounted on a lean and the tranny would stand straight up.

1) auto/manual use the SAME adapter. the manual has a mounting pivot for the clutch, that appears to be added AFTER casting. the adapter on the frito trucks IS ON A LEAN

2) a 6bt adapter to nv4500 bellhousing, as well as flywheel,clutch etc.... works fine

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    let me clarify some things.
    the 4bt is a 6bt with 2 less cylinders. same water pump, injectors, and bolt patterns.

a 4bt ,iirc, is a sae#3 bolt pattern. the motor in the frito lay trucks, whether automatic, or standard used an adapter that was approximately 2" thick. it also mounts the tranny on a 10deg rotation. i was told due to the motor height that the motor was mounted on a lean and the tranny would stand straight up.

1) auto/manual use the SAME adapter. the manual has a mounting pivot for the clutch, that appears to be added AFTER casting. the adapter on the frito trucks IS ON A LEAN

2) a 6bt adapter to nv4500 bellhousing, as well as flywheel,clutch etc.... works fine

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my SM465 has a different belhousing not an adapter, I have no idea how they did the Th400, could be an adapter /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. mcinfantry

damn, im not sure. the one i bought had adapters (sm465's)
    my buddy has 4, and two are th400's and all 5 total have adapters from sae#3 to sm465/th400... the sm465's have a pivot pin for the clutch linkage

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

A manual is out since I have a recently rebuilt TH400 and have no desire to row gears in the Sub.

Where do I go about finding the #3 to GM B/H adapter + the bits to attach a TH400 converter to the crank?

8. mcinfantry

let me ask my buddy

9. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Jamie Avant......
    Diesel Depot
    478-552-9510
    avasalv@mylink.net

Good guy /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I got my adapter from him....He also has complete motors....probably anything you need 10 times over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Gracias.