Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to find a CUCV?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Memphis, May 23, 2005.

1. Memphis

Memphis Registered Member

Hey, I posted a previous thread on this, but I can't find it! :confused:
    Anyway, where can I find an M1009 CUCV? I am located in Canada. I tried Ebay, but those are VERY pricey (They look like they are in great condition though). What does the military do with worn out army vehicles?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Try the for sale forum.

This is already a borderline "wanted" post which may be why the first one 'disappeared'.

Parts and vehicles for sale and wanted falls into the realm of a paid membership here. Unpaid members can still read and reply to existing threads there though, so feel free to browse there...

Rene

3. Memphis

My first problem, I can't post in there to ask :(, thats why I asked here. If I can find valuable info, I guess I'll have to buy the membership. Thanks for the clarification on the membership status though. That is appreciated.

4. tRustyK5

Yes, to post in there requires a membership. As i said you can read and you can reply though...

In Canada you're not gonna find an M1009, but there are tons floating around in the US and they come up often enough on this site. There are a few US government auction sites around too...although depending on the auction you may need to have end user documentation or may not be able to bid because you're not in the US.

Lastly you'll have to do your homework with Canada Customs to find out what you'll need to bring an M1009 back into Canada. I'm almost certain that as long as the vehicle is more than 15 years old the reg's are a lot more relaxed, but you may still need to have it inspected and certified in your province before being able to register and insure it.

I'd aim for a private sale to simplify things...

Rene

5. Memphis

Hey thanks for that information! I thought I might be able to find on in Canada because there was one in the AutoTrader (last summer). You probably haven't heard of it, but it is just like any other website selling off used or new vehicles etc. I really haven't done my homework about the whole idea, but I want to obtain a diesel powered engine if at all possible. That's why I immediately started hunting for a CUCV because all if not most of them are diesel powered correct? Was the M1009 strictly made for the US Military? I basically wanted to go the no hassle route and find a diesel motor in a Blazer. If everything else failed... how difficult would a swap be?

Well, I just a quick search and found some interesting vehicles:

Firstly: Milcots
    [​IMG]

Second: CUCV II
    [​IMG]

Finding these will probably be rather difficult and I still want a Blazer body because it is also a convertible. Damn it Canada!

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  6. tRustyK5

I'm in Canada too...

Couple of things come to mind. First is that civilian K5's could be had with the diesel and quite a few were sold that way. The 6.2 was offered from 82-91.

Second, the M1009's were all diesel powered, but had no overdrive and crappy gearing in the 10 bolts (3.08's)

Next, the M1009's were pretty short on the nicities a lot of us like. Next is the 12 volt/24 volt crap. A lot of extra wiring and oddball stuff you'll either have to learn, or convert.

If I was looking to buy a k5 right now I'd find one out of AZ, NM, TX, or CA with the best body. Drivetrain isn't so important because you can find plenty of that stuff where you are right now. Swapping in a 6.2 is pretty easy. I did that to my 81 Jimmy and couldn't be happier.

There was a member here that bought a 77 or 78 K5 in AZ and drove it home to BC (after wheeling it in moab...)

Rene

7. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Wrong forum

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2005
  8. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

That's great info thanks. I've been thinking about trying to pick one of these blazers up myself. In fact there was on for sale only about a month ago I believe in BC, maybe Alberta with a M101 (is that correct?) trailor. I called to make an offer but it was already gone. I was under the impression that all of the military Blazers came with one ton running gear though.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

tranny is 400 and 208 case but 1/2 ton axles. the trucks were 1 tun axles.

10. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Sorry but don't understand the axles were or were not one ton? Memphis I tried the army.ca site and couldn't find any links to trucks. Where should I be looking?

11. tRustyK5

The US army designated the military K5 (M1009) as a 3/4 ton, but it still just has 10 bolts.

The M1008, M1028 (One ton pick-up based) were rated 5/4 ton but were basically identical to the K30 and had the D60 C14 diff's with 4.56's and rear Detroits. The ambulances I think also had a front Trash-Lock.

Rene

12. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

ahh I got it. Thanks.