Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to find dry gas (alcohol) in Fort Worth/Dallas, area

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Oct 2, 2006.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i'm this close (imagine my fingers really close together) to passing emissions testing. the low-speed carbon monoxide is all that i need to get down. longterm, i plan to rebiuild my quadrajet, and lean it some, but i haven't worked on a q-jet, and have no margin for error, with my work schedule. but, i figure a few gallons of alcohol would work to get me through the test, just so the dang thing can at least be legal. anyone around dfw know where to find it, and what the cost is? i know i'm not the only one who's tried this.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ive heard of people using the HEET gas de-icer for that purpose.

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

if your set on gettin alcohol, contact local race shops. We have a couple drag stips in the area and have plenty of race shops.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the highest % of rubbing alcohol is basicly what is used for gas line anti freeze. can be had cheep at any pharmacy or food store.

5. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

its called methyl hydrate.

I buy it by the gallon jug at the local hardware store for about $4. That is what gasline antifreeze is. you can use it for lots of stuff.

6. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

i found some 91% isypropanol (spelling?) alcohol at Longs drug store, put in two small bottles on an 1/8th tank on my 79 and it blew alot cleaner for the smog man. lower than the average. On the pre inspection in blew like 120 over the allowed 250 hydrocarbons.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

paint store!..

You can get Isopropanol Alcohol,or Denatured Alcohol at most hardware and paint stores..Isopropanol works best,and is better at removing water from the gas,is safer for the "O" rings in the fuel injectors also..

Don't use rubbing alcohol--most of it is watered down up to 30% with water!..:doah: that won't make it run good!..:crazy: