Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to find GM 3 speed info?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 25, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Dad is swapping the th350 in his circle car for a 3 speed or 4 speed, but we want to figure stuff out like gearing before it goes in. We have them sitting in the garage and the only website I found with transmission codes well none of them match these transmissions! Can anyone help me find info on GM 3 and 4 speed transmissions? The 4 speed is definetally not an M21 or M22.

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Did they make a 4 speed Saginaw box? Maybe that's what it is.

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Yes they did

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The 3 speeds are somewhat a rare variety. I had a parts truck that had the 3 speed and a 205 behind it. I know for fact that some '81-'91 trucks had the 3 speed and 208's behind them. Yep, seen and drove one myself. I've got a 3 speed/205 adaptor in the garage. It don't look anything like the 465/205 adaptor at all. Very different. But both the 3 speed and 465 use the same t-case to interchange between them.

I've got a GM service manual that says something about the 3 speed but don't have it with me right now and it does have some M-code for it. Would need to check. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I found my service manual (it was buried under some magazines on my desk). It shows 2 different types of 3 speeds.

One is a 76 mm.
    The other is a 77 mm.

Thats all the manual shows for 3 speeds. Don't say what M-series tranny it is. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

7. wicked jester

wicked jester 1/2 ton status

Here's a link you can try. I hope it helps you out some.

8. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i have a gear ratio chart for saginaw and muncie 3 and 4 speeds....(i used to run circle track)....there will be grooves on the input shaft of the tranny...on the splined part where the clutch normally sits....they have from none to 4 lines on the shaft....figure out the lines and ill tell ya what ratios are in each one /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There is no link in your post Wicked Jester. If you scrolled to the bottom of my second one you would see gear ratios for 3 and 4 speeds. I corrected my post to say scroll down. Not too hard now is it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

didn't see any grooves but hey we just slapped the 3 speed behind the motor and slipped her in. I welded on the Crankcase evac system to the headers and we dropped the motor in. Being the young gun I was the one on my back under the car doing the motor mount bolts. Why is it I am always under mud vehicles? My K5 and this dirt track car? Should have pictures soon, hopefully taking it to the track tomorrow for a shakedown run. Just waiting on the MSD ignition from Summit and need to grab some leaded fuel.