Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to find NV4500?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by deothrwhtmt, Feb 24, 2001.

1. deothrwhtmt

deothrwhtmt Registered Member

In what vehicles can I find a NV4500 transmission? Specifically, Year / Make / Model. Thanks.

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Chevy started using them around '92 in 3/4 and 1 tons. Dodge started using them in '94 when the new body style came out. There is a heavy duty and a light duty version available, the Dodge diesels (and maybe V10s?) used the heavy duty version, not sure on the others. The Cummins is the only application I'm aware of that people are having problems with them. The first couple years they were used in the Chevys, the first gear was 6.? : 1, after that it was 5.? : 1. The newer trannies have better gear splits when on the street, 3rd to 4th is a pretty big jump still.

As for identification, they have a pto cover on each side, the case is iron, and the tailhousing on mine is aluminum. Be sure to only use the fluid specified on the pto cover, I think it is Castrol Syntorq. Its expensive, around $56 a gallon from standard transmission. The wrong fluid tears up the syncronizers.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd