Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to find nylon rope winch cable???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by leadfoot067, Aug 8, 2002.

1. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

anybody know???4wparts doesnt know,andthe other local 4x4 shops dont either,can anybody help????? i saw the stuff on a warn winch on a rig about a year ago...thanks

2. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

4. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

thanks found it!!!!

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I got mine from Masterpull. For all the benefits that they have, there is a drawback. The rope likes to squish into the rest of itself when using it under a heavy load. I've had three guys yanking on it before to get it unwound from the drum.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Would you buy it again or stick w/ steel?

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Wow, the folks at Master Pull really should hire someone that can actually SPELL to do their website updates. Click on their "Warning" link to see what I mean. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

WOW, that was embarrassing......

I have no idea what that product costs, but it sure undermines that companies credibility (and their ability to get my $$$) when they have so many typos in their own product info.

If they can't even spell....would you trust their rope to save your truck....or your life? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The stuff Rockstomper sells is the same stuff but there are some differences. I don't think you can get the cool hook. And Rock stomper is cheaper and Scott at Rockstomper is Nice and doesn't make threats to competetors like Master pull did to Scott.
    When I can afford it I'll be getting it from Rockstomper.
    As for it's strenght. It's stronger that steel at the same diameter. I think 5/16 steel is rated 8,000 and the same diameter of the rope is close to 12,000. If it breaks it drops to the ground. Steel will recoil. No splinter to cut you up.
    Down side is this....It abriads easy. If you were in a situation that it got agains a rock there is a chance it would get cut and fail where the Cable would be fine. There is a sleave that you can put ofver the rope to help with this. You also should go to a Hawse style farley. The roller styles have gaps that the rope could get into and abraid it.
    I have seen it in Action. Keith has it on his truck. He pulled Yeild up slick rock with it no problem after pulling himself up it.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It certainly doesn't give a very professional image... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. Sandman

Oh yeah I would buy it again. One of the first times I used it was on a hunting trip. We had some deer on the other side of some ugly looking beaver ponds. I just unwound the whole cable and tossed the hook through the air with the rope following it. If I still had the steel I would have had to wade it across. Its also nicer to carry throu deep snow. I paid $244 for the biggest one that they had at the time.

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Go with Rockstomper! I just got mine a couple weeks ago and Scott is GREAT to deal with!!!!!!!

And Grim, yes you can get a big hook with a safety catch from Scott!!!

13. Emmettology 101

Yes you can get the cool hook from Rockstomper!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. Emmettology 101

BTW, you can sort of see my cable in this pic:

[​IMG]

Rockstomper usually does one guard on the winch cable but I got (2) 10 footers just to play it safe. Also, I got 3/8" cable for added strenth, but he felt 5/16" was enough..

15. bigjbear

Thanks, all the respones I've seen have said that. I am planning to get some when I need to replace my steel cable. I had not thought about the throwing aspect, another plus! Just wondering, is there anyone who has this and does not like it? With the reviews this stuff gets I wonder why the winch co's don't offer it. It would seem like an easy way to jack up the price a little.

16. Sandman

I e-mailed Warn about it and they said that they do not recommend the rope cable because the steel cable helps to cool the drum. They said that the rope cable will not help to disipate the heat. I got it anyway and have not seen any issues.

17. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

i believe we can get it up at the waterfront at the bpat docks shane, like Doc's.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

18. bigjbear

I didn't think of the cable as a heat sink. I'll bet it helps for the planetery style winches. I've got an 8274 so that wouldn't do anything for me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

19. Sandman

I cleaned mine today. Gave a good hard yank, zipped it all out then then hosed it off. Let it dry and then rewound all with my bare hands. I did have some trouble with it. While it was drying my 2 year old grabbed all 100 feet of it or so and took off around the house with it. Found him wrapping the tree with it.