Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to find rear end

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by zach78k5, Aug 2, 2003.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a rear end with 3.73 or 4.10 gear ratio. I have a 14BFF to trade. It is a daily driver so 10 bolt or 12 bolt 6 lug would be perfect. Would a wrecking yard have something worth while? What should I inspect on the rear end besides the gears? any help would be excellent. thanks

2. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Well, put your hands in the small of your back, then run them down about 10"... LOL

Hmm. Sounds like a street truck.

1) Run away from 10 bolts prior to 89. They're 28 spline. Even some of the 89s may be 28 spline.

2) Gov Locs work fine until the clutches wear. Then they can't keep the tire w/o traction from spinning up to quickly and the pawl will drop just in time to grenade your carrier and likely take a few other parts with it. Keep the clutches tight and they're OK.

Newer 10 bolts will come w/ rear disks that kick any aftermarket (1/2 ton) rear disk kit's a$$. Call any rear disk kit mfgr for their 1/2T kit and tell them you tow a 6,000#+ trailer 90% of the time and watch them backstep. "They're for looks" or "They're for the coolness factor." Stillen, Baer, etc. Not enough swept area. Not the same as the 14 bolt aftermarket kits w/ the ElDo front rotors.

There is the 9.5" 14 bolt in newer Chevs PUs (88+) that is 6 lug. Not a lot of locker selection (detroit, Auburn LS, Gov Loc, maybe 1-2 more), but more beef than 10 or 12 bolts. You will likely have to relocate the spring pads tho.

Pull the cover, yank the axles.
    Check the axles for wear where the bearing rides on them.
    Check the center pin in the carrier for wear.
    Obviously look at the teeth on the ring & pinion.
    Make sure oil looks OK, no metal, etc.

HTH

3. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

brent has a 12 bolt 373 with a posi...6 lug..ohh thats seattlek5...on here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and he is in everett

4. bigbadburb

bigbadburb 1/2 ton status

i have one but was in a 72 last so you would have to change the pads and shock mounts. It is 410s and has a stock posi oh yeah it is a 12 bolt and has been out of a truck for like 3 years and you will need to do brakes and brake lines and all of that also. pm or email me if interested? I dont really need another 14 bolt