Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to find taller aircleaner??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rcpilot, Jan 3, 2003.

1. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I saw in a few of the posts pics of a deeper/taller factory style aircleaner.. my '76 is only approx 4 inches tall.. I would like a taller one for more air volume..any ideas as to what year these were on?? Thanks.. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

I think these came on mid 80's trucks. I have mostly seen them on 3/4 or 1 tons with 350's. PM me if you want to know exact years I can look them up at work real easy and even give you the part number in just about any manufacturers line.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Any of the "snorkel" equipped trucks ('81-up?) could get these, I've seen two on 305 trucks, but there was likely some other factor, not cubic inches, that governed whether or not the truck got it.

The tall one will be about 8" tall, you can go to an auto parts store, and check their interchange book/inspect the filter for a 1983 305 equipped K10 if you want, and I believe you'll get the 8" one. (you can at least find it for sure) No way you can mistake one when you see it.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

The element is pretty close to 5" tall. I got mine off of an 86 Blazer with a 305.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Also look into diesel air filters. I run an open element, but I get GM truck diesel filters for it. Its 14X5 or 6, so if you get the whole thing from a junk yard, youd still have the enclosed filter if you wanted to.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

good post
    a large filter in a snorkle style sounds like a great addition
    if you get specific post them for all plz

7. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

GM used a taller enclosed air cleaner with approx. a 14" x 5" tall element and a much larger oval intake snorkel. I found one lying in a box at a shop -- got it just for asking. Believe it came off mid-80's GM truck. To complete the package, I trolled a junkyard to find the fitting for the radiator support-- just get the one for your year and knock out the plug beside of your radiator. Then get the connecting hose-- I found one at Pep boys for $4. Oh-by the way, the filter housing I picked up was actually pretty restrictive until I removed the charcoal filled screen assembly inside the filter. It breathes very well now.

8. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

My 85 Silverado with the 305 HO had the tall element.

9. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 with a 305 that had this on it stock.

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Thats prob the diesel filter set up I mentioned. Did it happen to have a part # on it?

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, and you probably have a little hole in the end of the air cleaner intake too..

You can find the tall air cleaners on just about every 80s carbureted 305. I don't know about diesels. I just scored myself another one for $20 that I'm going to modify. It was the only one I've seen at the 4 junkyards I've been to. I guess the car guys are snagging them too.

Inside, you'll find a giant screened in thing that is full of charcoal. Tear it out. Smog equipment, what's that? I ended up chiseling mine out. It's within 1" of the lid and is way too restrictive so it's got to go. The air deflector for the intake inside the air cleaner should be bent towards the element so it doesn't restrict the air either. When going to the department store to get filters just find the biggest box you can. That's probably the element you're looking for. I think Fram's is 3549 but don't quote me on it. I just grab the only one they've got that is that big. It doesn't help that we've only got one department store here that has an automotive section...

I did some research on this air cleaner. It seems it flows more air than your carburetor at 1.5" of mercury.

But don't go horde all the good air cleaners... poor college kids like me need some too. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. dyeager535

I hate this parts manual /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

25042888 is the part number for the "tall" air cleaner *assembly*. It includes the temp switch, element, and the thermac stuff.

Thats the 5.7L VIN "M"(? apparently=lt9/350M)
    The 305 air cleaner looks the same, but has more emissions fittings on it. The 350 has none other than the Thermac and PCV.

Seperately, the manual lists a "retainer"(22530004) and a "breather"(6484966) which I would have to assume are the upper and lower housing, since the rest of the parts are (abbreviated) "element, motor, and sensor" All of these parts come with that first part #.

Check with www.gmpartsdirect.com to see if they have them and how much, and if they don't list them, you can always write to them. Guessing that the air cleaner assembly is too many $$, but you never know.

13. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

14. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I didn't realize at first we were talking about a stock air cleaner, a guy I knew back home had a 69 truck that he wanted more volume from so what he does it buy 2 shorter elements and stacks them. Works great, also installed a small splash guard in front of them on his because it's open. Longer allthread is all it took hope this helps

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That's the same one that mine came with. It was originally a 305 truck. I have a giant K&N filter in it and took the charcoal ring out. Works great, but I think I can smell gas a little bit sometimes in the garage since that mod. The thermac thing works good, but I would like to add a second snorkel on the the driver's side radiator support cutout sometime. The only problem is routing around the A/C compressor.

16. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I just looked up the parts.

Retainer PN 22530004 $6.00
    Breather PN 6484966 $1.58

That seems way too cheap for those parts, are you sure they're the upper and lower housing?

The whole assembly, PN 25042888, isn't listed.

Will

17. JakeInAZ

JakeInAZ Registered Member

Well chief, I have an '84 K5 silverado with a '79 350 5.7...luckily for me they used the original air cleaner from the stock '84 305 and it is aprox. 8 inches tall and aprox. 14 inches wide. The housing itself should fit on any Quadra Jet, Edelbrock, or Holley carb. Also, an adaptor is not needed to clear the carb linkage which should make installation a snap. I bought a replacement when the other got ran over (long story) and I only payed $7.50 at a wrecking yard.

18. dyeager535

yeah, sounds way too cheap. Maybe those are the breather filter and clip. Manual didn't indicate that, but for those prices, likely not what you need.

Forgot to mention it before, but FWIW, the base is the same on them (minus the additional fittings on some) so the lid is all you *really* need if you have a base already.